China Hutch/Buffet (wordy and several pics)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian G
    • Jun 2003
    • Bloomington, Minnesota.
    • G0899

China Hutch/Buffet (wordy and several pics)

This was a project a year in the making. I'm glad it's done, because as pleased as I am about how it looks, it pegged the "sick-o-this-project" meter several months ago. I'm not a very good photographer, so photos don't do certain parts justice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CHBFront.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	789315

We needed something for LOML's china, but we had a very defined space in which to put it. The basic shape has its origins in U-bild plan #667, with so many cosmetic and structural changes such that it's nothing like the original. I changed the proportions to make them more appealing to the eye (a little taller at 72") and a few inches wider from the front at 36", and a few inches deeper),

Some construction details:

Wood: Quartersawn red oak is the main material. Some is bookmatched as can be seen in the following views from the sides. The bookmatch didn't quite have the desired effect, but it's still visible. I like the more subtle ray fleck of QSRO versus QSWO; sometimes the ray fleck can be overly obnoxious.

Name:	BuffetSide.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	789316

Name:	BufRight.jpg
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	789317

I used flatsawn red oak for interior pieces (e.g., hutch shelves). The shelves are joined to the hutch sides by using sliding dovetails. The hutch is joined to the buffet top with sliding dovetails, no glue. The top of the buffet then attaches to the buffet, so that I had a two-piece unit.

Name:	BufTop.jpg
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	789318

The back panel and panels in the doors of the buffet were also bookmatched 1/4" stock. I used frame and panel construction, with the Woodline Ogee raised panel router bit set. I also used that bit set to make the glass doors for the hutch, and routed the backside of the groove that the panel sits in so that I could install glass (1/8" tempered). The glass is held in by retaining strips; the top retainers were bandsawn to closely fit the curve of the top stile.

Name:	HutchFront.jpg
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	789319

The crown molding is two pieces. There is a cap molding of oak with half-round top and bottom. The main piece was made from QSRO, using Holbren's outstanding 5-piece molding set. That bit set worked great, and in retrospect, I wish I would have wringed the wallet a little tighter so that a few more dollars would have squeezed out toward the 10-bit set. I ripped down some of the molding to make a transition between the buffet and the base, and the remainder was for the trap moulding that lines the inside of the union of the buffet top and hutch as shown here:

Name:	HutchBufUnion.jpg
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	789322

I used a method I've seen on NYW for the shelf support construction inside the buffet. Initially, I was going to use shelf pins, but I wanted split shelves left and right, so I came up with the following system:

Name:	Shelf1.jpg
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	789320

The shelves are flatsawn red oak, pinned with some padauk plugs. They are ship-lapped left to right, and have a chamfer on the edge between boards. I don't know why I chose padauk. . contrast is nice, I guess. The shelves simply set on cross supports that fit into angled slots. One thing I wanted was the option to have one shelf on one side to accomodate tall things, or at least be able to place odd-height items on both sides, but not lose space. So, I made two half-shelves that can be rotated and fit so that we have three full shelves.

Name:	Shelf2.jpg
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	789321

The drawer sides are made from aspen, and the bottom is baltic birch ply. The joinery for the drawer is simply a drawer lock bit. I was going to use dovetails, but decided against it. I did feel that I needed something fancy, so I used some extra padauk plugs for decoration. They did bleed a little during finishing; that's not MY blood tinging the drawer sides.

Name:	Drawer.jpg
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	789323

The finish is my own made-up recipe of Homestead Finishing (Jeff Jewitt) Transtint dye. I started with a 1:32 dilution of Dark Vintage Maple and 1:32 dilution of Honey Amber. From there, I tried several mixtures of various dilutions and proportions, until I settled on a 3:1 mixture of 1.5:40 Dark Vintage Maple and 0.5:16 Honey Amber. There's nothing magic about that ratio. . . it just seemed to work. I wanted to blend out some slight variation in color, even though most of the wood came from the same tree. After the dye, I applied three coats of boiled linseed oil to the top of the buffet, and each of the bookmatched panels. The other parts (except the buffet shelves, supports, and drawer interior) got just one coat of BLO. After the BLO dried, I applied three coats of 1-lb cut shellac. . why, I don't know. . and then two coats of General Finishes wipe-on polyurethane (gloss), buffed it a bit, and then finished off with one light coat of General Finishes satin polyurethane gel. The drawer interior and buffet shelves received about five coats of 1-lb cut shellac. That should keep stuff inside from smelling like polyurethane for the next several months.

It was a fun and sometimes frustrating project, but frustrating in a good way, if there is such a thing. Thanks for hanging in with me as I share the outcome. I'd be happy to answer any questions about other details.
    Brian
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Outstanding!

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Absolutely beautiful work, Brian!
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• RodKirby
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
        • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Magnificant! (LOTS of work)
        Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• RayintheUK
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Hey, Brian - that's a brilliant piece which will have many admirers (not the least the LOYL, I suspect!). The detailing is great and I especially like the cut-outs on the plinth.

You should be really proud of it - well done!

Ray.
          Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Ken Weaver
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Clemson, SC, USA
            • Rigid TS3650

That is really impressive Brian - great work, and the attention to detail makes it stand out. Good on ya!
            Ken Weaver
            Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

A beautiful piece, Brian. Thanks for the detail on construction and finishing.
              ken

Comment

• lrogers
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Mobile, AL. USA.
                • BT3000

It may have a long time in the making, but the results sure paid off! Absolutely beautiful. As Ken said, your attention to the details was outstanding.
                Larry R. Rogers
                The Samurai Wood Butcher
                http://splash54.multiply.com
                http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• BobSch
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

All I can add is WOW!
                  Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• bfrikken
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Michigan, USA.
                    • BT-3100

A very very nice project, indeed.

Comment

• Turaj
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                      • BT3000 (1998)

Wow

WOW, A very beautiful project, Brian
                      Turaj (in Toronto)
                      "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• jhart
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

Very, very nice Brian. I'm sure you'll love it for more years than the planning stage took. Always nice to get something finished that's been on your mind for a long time. Good job.
                        Joe
                        "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

Beautiful, Brian. I can't name all the ways I admire that project. Wonderful work.

Oh, and you get my nomination for Patient Finisher of the year award. Just experimenting with so many finishes would have worn me out, let alone actually doing the work!

JR
                          JR

Comment

• Tom Miller
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2003
                            • Twin Cities, MN
                            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Hometown Boy Makes Good

Nice going, Brian! And I see what you mean about the QSRO vs. QSWO -- especially for a bigger piece like that.

Regards,
                            Tom

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                              • Dec 2005
                              • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                              • Grizzly G1023SL

WOW!!! Way better than "store bought"!

OUTSTANDING WORK!
                              I definately understand "sick of this project ... " before it's complete ... have bitten off more than I wanted to chew more times than I can count ... have I learned from that .. nope!

Bade
                              "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                              Bade Millsap
                              Bulverde, Texas
                              => Bade's Personal Web Log
                              => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

Working...