X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GPA61
    • Sep 2004
    • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • BT 3100 & JET JWTS

Excellent work, Gary. Those inlays are great.
    Claudio

Comment

• gerti
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Beautiful! And thanks for describing the inlay process. I got to try that!

Comment

• bigstick509
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Macomb, MI, USA.
        • BT3100

Very Nice

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• MilDoc

Really nice work! Haven't tried inlays yet, waiting for cooler weather, but hope mine turn out as nice!

Comment

• John Hunter
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
            • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
            John Hunter

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
              Bandsaw Box Momma
              • Apr 2005
              • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

That is very nice. I am sure she will love it. Beautuful inlay work. One of these days I am going to have to try something like that.
              Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• Wood_workur
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2005
                • Ohio
                • Ryobi bt3100-1

those inlays are nice
                Alex

Comment

• Angry4Wood
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2006

That's beautiful Gary!

If you don't mind me asking...what did you do with the inside?

One of my projects I need to do at some point is make a jewelry box, so I am curious.
                  Aaron Fleischer
                  Orange County Woodworker's Association - Webmaster
                  Fleischer Woodworks

Comment

• lcm1947
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Austin, Texas
                    • BT 3100-1

Good Lord that is simply beautiful. That finish is- well it's beautiful. How in the world does one get a finish like that? I'd love to know.
                    May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• gjbivin
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2005
                      • Gilbert, AZ, USA.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by lcm1947
                      Good Lord that is simply beautiful. That finish is- well it's beautiful. How in the world does one get a finish like that? I'd love to know.
                      Finishing is not my favorite part of the project (is it anybody's?). I don't have any advanced techniques -- everything I used has been described many times here before.

This is the first time I've tried a "long oil" varnish mixture - equal amounts of boiled linseed oil, poly (I use Minwax), and mineral spirits. This makes a thin "wipe on" mixture that I applied with a folded white shop rag.

I gave each layer a day to dry; actually it baked on in my 110-degree garage. Then I lightly sanded with #220 grit before applying the next layer. On this box, I put on two coats of this mixture.

Then, on the theory that the two coats I had put on had pretty well sealed the wood and oil wouldn't penetrate it any more, I switched to a 1:1 mixture of poly and mineral oil, which has been my usual finish. Again, it can be applied with a folded cloth (I often cheat and use a folded paper towel, and haven't noticed trouble with shedding, at least with Bounty towels). Three more coats of this thin mixture, a day and light sanding between each.

On the last coat, instead of sanding, I used a hint I had read and rubbed it with a piece of brown paper bag. This got the few "nubs" that were left but didn't scratch the surface appreciably.

On something like a box, maybe the first two coats would have been good enough. But I elected to give it the extra protection.

Some people would finish up by "rubbing out" and/or maybe putting on a coat of wax. I didn't bother, as it looked pretty good the way it was.
                      Gary J. Bivin
                      Gilbert, AZ

Comment

Working...