• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Clamp Storage

This is my first time attempting to post photos so please excuse the mess I know I'm about to make.

I've been trying to recycle other people's tools (translation: buy as much as I can at garage sales) and recently stumbled on a collection of bar clamps by the Wetzler Clamp Company in 6, 12 and 18" sizes. They're clearly an older style, but very solidly built with comparatively massive bars. They came in a carrying case that was built by the original owner.

My shop is our 2 car garage, but most of the wall space and some of the interior space is spoken for so everything has to sit in the middle. We live in earthquake country so I try to design stuff knowing the earth is going to move. My longer, less expensive clamps (red and orange) are hung from a beam that holds the garage door track and is designed so that the clamps cannot easily fall off in an earthquate but are easy enough to grab without using a ladder.

After looking at what others had done, I decided to use a pair of 2x4s with dados in them mounted on stretchers, and then the whole thing mounted 20 degrees off vertical (that's what the beveled 2x4 is all about) on another beam so as to keep the ends of the clamps above head height but within reach. This provided the perfect opportunity to use a new Freud 8" dado set I'd purchased cheap from someone who ended up with two.

I'm not as happy with this setup because it isn't as secure as the other one, and clamps may well fly everywhere when the next big one comes, but at least they're off the floor
    Attached Files
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Looks like it work..what's the problem???
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• John Hunter
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Lake Station, IN, USA.
      • BT3000 & BT3100

Looks good.
      John Hunter

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Originally posted by Pappy
        Looks like it work..what's the problem???
        So long as the ground doesn't move, it's fine. If things start shaking hard while I'm working near where those clamps are, it's gonna hurt pretty bad if one or two of even the small ones suddenly jump out. I'd rather have them in a cart on the ground but there's just no room.

Then again, maybe your'e right and I'm worrying over nothing.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

If things start to shake enough to move them up and off a 20 degree tilt, I don't think the shop is the safest place to be.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• mater
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • SC, USA.

It looks like a good storage system to me. I have something similar only on my wall.
            Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Wood_workur
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • Ohio
              • Ryobi bt3100-1

Looks great- to reduce the rish of falling clamps, why don't you add a small piece of wood that slided out when you want to get to the clamps.
              Alex

Comment

• lrogers
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Mobile, AL. USA.
                • BT3000

I see in that first picture that you have a "helper" very much like our Tigger. You have some good ideas there.
                Larry R. Rogers
                The Samurai Wood Butcher
                http://splash54.multiply.com
                http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• jackellis
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

Alex, I thought about something that would fasten or slide over the bars but the beam it's all attached to is about 8 feet above the floor. I suppose if I were really concerned I would drag a ladder or footstool over to fasten and unfasten a safety device. On the other hand, maybe someting I can move with a pole...

Larry, my "helper" would love to go into the shop with me but we don't allow it. The little guy isn't so little - when I'm sitting at my desk he can reach my shoulder with his back feet on the ground. Lives to play (that's not a typo), constantly pokes me in the ribs to stop working so I can pay attention to him. His "sister" is a black-and-white tuxedo and the two of them are a blast to watch.

Comment

Working...