• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pierhogunn
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

Aluminum Flagpole

I have been asking questions off and on now for several months about differnent ideas I had for making an aluminum flag pole that could be collapsed and stored in a foot locker.

I finally made the darned thing, and with the help and suggestions of differing forum members, it came together nicely.

I finally have a prototype and used it last weekend at the Loch Norman Highland Games.

The flagpole is made of 4 24" sections, with 1" ID PVC joints, and is held together with a 4' black bungee cord bolted into the top and bottom section of the flag pole.

Things that I learned,

1. Don't worry about fastening the PVC to the aluminum, it works better if you can slide the couplings up over the joints sort of like a sleeve.

2. don't use tubing cutters to section the tube, it just cuts down on the opening diamater of the pole and makes the insertion of the shock cord that much more difficult

3. Countersink the bolt head and the nut on the top and bottom of the tube, that way these things will fit in 1.5" ID PVC (for a flag holder)

4. Burnish the cut edges of the tube BEFORE you shock cord it together...

5. Always come here first when you are contemplating a half baked idea.

Pictures a-comming when I unpack the foot locker this weekend.

Thanks for all the help
    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC
Working...