• Show
Clear All
  • Kiwi Dust Mite
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2005
    • Hamilton, New Zealand.
    • AMAC Tablesaw

Easter Friday's WIP

Been beavering away in the shed yesterday and have almost got the latest easel done.

So whats everyones plans for the break?

....**It\'s better burn out than fade away**...
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

What 'break'? Your mail gets delivered Friday, Saturday, and Monday. I do get Monday off but only because it is my scheduled day off this week.

Plan is to finish the drawers for the sink vanity and build the wall cabinet. That will leave 4 doors to make and spray the finish.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• DonHo
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Shawnee, OK, USA.
      • Craftsman 21829

As Pappy said, "what break"?? Ever since I retired April 1st, it been up at 7:30 or 8:00, eat breakfast. Spend a couple of hours in the shop. Lunch. A couple or 3 more hours in the shop. Watch the news, eat dinner, watch TV and off to bed around 10:30. It's just busy, busy

BTW, you did a great job on the easel.

DonHo
      Don

Comment

• just4funsies
        • Dec 2005
        • Florida.
        • BT3000

I do not get vacations or holidays. I do not get days off. I work 100+ hours a week for a greedy, overbearing, heartless BA5TARD...

(me )
        ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• rickd
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
          • Ryobi BT3100

hi,

i'm another one of those retired guys - but, i still enjoy breaks and weekends. keeps me in touch with the 'real world'.

nice job on the easel!!

along with the usual shop work, i've had to make some time for some lawn work too. today, i rented a lawn aerator and punched a bunch of wholes in my front lawn - approximately 400 sq. ft. man, those aeorator machines are hard to wrestle around - that's a real workout. this afternoon, i picked up a yard of 'sandy loam' mix in my trailer and then spread that around as a top dressing in parts of the lawn that looked like they could use it.

so now it's back to woodworking etc.
          rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• MilDoc

Plan to build a barbeque cart out of Texas cedar, then start on some cypress Adirondeck chairs. After I take care of the yard, regrout the shower. Off Monday too by choice 'tho I don't get paid when I take off.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by DonHo
              Ever since I retired April 1st, it been up at 7:30 or 8:00, eat breakfast. Spend a couple of hours in the shop. Lunch. A couple or 3 more hours in the shop. Watch the news, eat dinner, watch TV and off to bed around 10:30. It's just busy, busy

DonHo
              Rough schedule! Must be reall hard to stay motivated..
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• Raymonator
                Established Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Near Ottawa Ontario
                • Ryobi BT3100

We were off Friday and I had to finish touch ups and mouldings for the bathroom reno I did last weekend which was mostly just painting. Today I have to go to my daughters and grandkids to set up a stupid 12' trampoline that my wife and I purchased for them. I was against this, as I find my 7 year old grand-daughter and 4 year old grand-son are still too young for this thing, but the girls think I'm being over protective. But, it does say right on the box, "not to be used by children under the age of 12". Just an accident waiting to happen I think. The women feel that with proper supervision the kids will be fine. Anyway, one man against all these women (3 daughters in all) doesn't have a prayer when it comes to a vote lol.
                I wanted to start assembly on my new BT tomorrow, but I was forgetting about a family gathering at my BIL's which is about a two hour drive. So I guess I won't have time to assemble the BT until next weekend now *sigh*. Don't know if it's age or I'm slowing down, but there doesn't seem to be enough hours in a week anymore.
                I would like to take this opportunity in wishing all of you a very Safe and Happy Easter
                Last edited by Raymonator; 04-15-2006, 07:22 AM.
                Measure twice....cut once.
                Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length (Robert Frost)

Comment

• dkhoward
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
                  • bt3000

LOML list this weekend starts with finishing the custom milled trim in the living room. THis will finish that remodel project and she is already standing in the kitchen, looking at the cabinets and making notes. . . . don't cha just love retirement. . . .
                  Dennis K Howard
                  www.geocities.com/dennishoward
                  "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• lrogers
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Mobile, AL. USA.
                    • BT3000

The family is here for the weekend so we are doing some family stuff.
                    The local R/C club had "Armagedon" yesterday. If you've never seen R/C combat, all I can say is WOW! About 15 planes in the air at one time trying to cut the streamer other planes without getting their own cut. Mid-air's were frequent. I got cooked-forgot the sun block.
                    I was in the shop too. Had to fix a bed rail and I'm doing a bit of metal work making a gate header to stop the fence for sagging due to the weight of the gate.
                    Big egg hunt this morning for Shanna.
                    A good weekend!!!
                    Larry R. Rogers
                    The Samurai Wood Butcher
                    http://splash54.multiply.com
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• Stick
                      • Sep 2003
                      • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
                      • BT3100

*sigh* yet another weekend at work keeping the electrons flowing for all you lucky guys and gals who actually get days off.

I finish tuesday, drive 450 miles, then get to repair winter damage around the farm. Some barbed wire needs fixed, a few broken fence posts, some mechanical work on one tractor, rewire another one. Cut up the winter's deadfall for firewood. Castrate calves. Fix a footbridge that my propane guy backed over and smashed all to he double hockey sticks, bring in a semi-load of gravel for the driveway, shovel a winter's worth of chicken poop out of the henhouse, move a winter's worth of cow poop from the corral out to the pile, and last years' spread on the fields. Change oil on everything I own, probably 25 engines worth. Yep.....buy my oil in 45 gallon drums. (55US). Might have time to hang some shelves the LOML has been asking for in the bedroom.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Raymonator
                        We were off Friday and I had to finish touch ups and mouldings for the bathroom reno I did last weekend which was mostly just painting. Today I have to go to my daughters and grandkids to set up a stupid 12' trampoline that my wife and I purchased for them. I was against this, as I find my 7 year old grand-daughter and 4 year old grand-son are still too young for this thing, but the girls think I'm being over protective. But, it does say right on the box, "not to be used by children under the age of 12". Just an accident waiting to happen I think. The women feel that with proper supervision the kids will be fine. Anyway, one man against all these women (3 daughters in all) doesn't have a prayer when it comes to a vote lol.
                        You are absolutely 100% correct. That is a horriable idea for teenage children, let alone 7 and 4. Let years of liabilty litigation I have handled serve as notice that this is a really bad idea. I don't mean to scare you or anything, as there is little chance they are going to let you get rid of it after seeing the kids have fun on it, but they are incrediably dangerous "toys". I'm sure you got the arguement "But it has a net around it and the springs are padded" (and if you don't have those things an accident is much more probable), but it is still just so dangerous I just can't really put it in words.
                        If you REALLY want to get rid of it without looking like the bad guy let me know and I can tell you how. Hint : No property insurance contract will allow trampolines on premises. No homeowners, no landlords, no renters. None.

Comment

• Crash2510
                          • Feb 2006
                          • North Central Ohio

I totally agree with jeffrey being pretty young myself 19 I know how stupid kids can act on a trampoline especially when more than one person is on it. I can distinctly remember many classmates with severely broken ankles and arms due to these things. If you can't find a way to get rid of it 1 kid at a time and possibly one of those wrestling ring protective nettings.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	trampoline_home5c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	779238
                          Phil In Ohio
                          The basement woodworker

Comment

• Raymonator
                            Established Member
                            • Mar 2006
                            • Near Ottawa Ontario
                            • Ryobi BT3100

The picture that Crash2510 posted of the trampoline with the padded posts and netting is exactly like the one we purchased. I gave my daughter a lengthy lecture after setting it up, and she "promised" to give the highest of supervision as well as letting only one child at a time use it. Still, I'm not 100% convinced one of them, or both, won't end up getting hurt this summer. Pretty hard to get rid of it now that the kids have tried it. Anyway, I'm glad to see that there are others who feel the same as I do. I have shown my wife this post, and now she is showing signs of concern as well. I know she'll pass this advice onto our daughter, who hopefully will be a little more aware of the possibility of someone getting hurt and follow through on strict rules for the trampoline's usage. Maybe if the advice comes from Mom and not grumpy old Dad, it'll sink in better. On the high side, they live out in the country and don't have any immediate neighbours for the kids to play with, so less chance of getting sued I guess. I will forward Jeffrey's remarks on the insurance and have her call her insurance broker. If they tell her she can't get home owners insurance because of it, maybe it'll end up for sale. I should have posted in this thread 'before' purchasing the dang thing. Sometimes you do something that you think is helpful or out of love, only to realize afterwards it was a big mistake. Thanks for the input and the heads-up gentlemen, well noted.
                            Last edited by Raymonator; 04-17-2006, 07:13 AM.
                            Measure twice....cut once.
                            Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length (Robert Frost)

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • York, PA, USA.

The spring pads greatly increase safety on trampolines. The netting does so to a marginal degree. Stay on top of regular checks of the netting for tears, rips, holes. I had a girl burn her neck and slightly damage her esophagus when she got her head stuck in the netting which had began to rot. Also contributing to that loss was the fact that poles that hold the netting up are very poorly constucted. Think dust bag pole that holds top of dust bag on HF dust collector lol. Those poles tend to fall and acutally increase the hazard of jumping.
                              Note to daughter, if she is a homeowner and the insurance company does a random inspection they will give her the option of removing the trampoline or cancel her policy. Same for renters insurance. If she is a renter I cant imagine any landlord would allow a trampoline, nor do I think his liability carrier would allow same. I say without reservation, no insurance company will allow this conditions.
                              While she will monitor childrens behavior on the trampoline, remember that this is an attractive nuisance just like a pool. Normally land owners owe trespassors no duty to protect, however attractive nuisance doctrine basically turns pool ownership and trampoline ownership into strict liability. Some drunk/jacked up kids come on to the property while owner is on vacation or during the night and gets injured, the property owner is liable for those damages. Basically the only defense is having a 4' or greater fence which is locked.
                              Make your daughter aware that this is a guaranteed loss of insurance if the company finds out about the trampoline (make sure she is aware during the trampoline return period!).

Comment

Working...