X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leetho
    Handtools only
    • Sep 2018

attaching to rails

recently purchased a BT3100. The saw did not come with the sliding miter table. I am trying to make a plywood table extension and router in my own miter slots on the plywood table so I can make some sleds. I can’t seem to figure out how people are actually attaching their custom tables to the saw rails. I see a lot of pictures of metal and plywood brackets to support the table, but how do you attach the brackets to the aluminum saw rails?
  • Argfather
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2018

Haven't gotten started yet but my plan is to simply sandwich a few layers of wood to fit in the slots

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I used washers that fit the slots in the rails with flat head bolts and nuts. Look at the jig articles in the archive section for methods others have used.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

I used a piece of flat steel stock, drilled and tapped for 1/4-20 bolts. It works pretty well, but kinda fussy to make.
        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

TNuts.com has BT3K-specific T-nuts.

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

The sliding miter table is an important feature of the saw, however, and I'd encourage you to locate one. Occasionally someone parts a saw on here, and eBay often has them, such as this listing:

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for RYOBI BT3000 Table Saw at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

The SMT simply sits on top of the rails where it can slide left or right along the rail for positioning. It has two "slides" at the front of the SMT and two at the rear. The "slides" are equipped with lever-like clamps that squeeze the side of the rails to fix the SMT in position. If you look at your manual or repair parts sheet you will see what I describe.

The channels on top and sides of the rails are designed for use of "T-Nuts", which can be procured from the sources previously described. The optional Accessory Kit, which I believe is still available from Home Depot for a $99 includes a small number of T-nuts to go with the accessory table to mount your router, provide a router fence, etc. as well as clearance plates for the router and blade areas, and a set of casters.

For the smaller slots, I've found some small nuts that fit okay.

CWS
              Last edited by cwsmith; 09-24-2018, 06:42 PM.
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Leetho
                Handtools only
                • Sep 2018

Thanks for the information. Ordered some t nuts through tnuts.com to try out. The sliding miter table looks like a handy accessory, but I was reluctant to pay $80 for one when I only paid that much for the saw and I could make my own tables and sleds for half the price.

Comment

• JamieRI
                  JamieRI commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So, a year and a half later... did you ever get the sliding miter table? It's one of two reasons I bought this saw. It mostly eliminates the need to build your own crosscut sled.

If you haven't, they show up on ebay all the time. I agree, for too much money, but you can bid less and see what happens. You bought a crippled saw, just wondering how it's doing!
              Working...