This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mpc
    replied
    I use plywood for mine as well, run through the thickness planer after fabrication to get it to just the right thickness. For mounting, I don't use the same screw holes as the BT3's factory throat plate - I don't use those that are on the 1/10th inch thick section. Just inside those, where the bulk of the ZCTP lives, are existing holes that are not threaded by the factory. They're easy to tap though to take the same sized screws as the stock throat plate but you'll need 1 more. So my ZCTP actually has a small gap both in front of it and behind it, where the 1/10th inch lip would be. Hasn't been an issue for me. And making ZCTPs this way is much easier than trying to make something with skinny ears on each end.

If those small 1/10th inch gaps concern someone, it'd be easy to make a small/thin rectangle to just fit those gaps and make the rest of the ZCTP a rectangle that fits in the deeper part of the stock BT3 opening. Just need even more screws...

mpc

Leave a comment:

• Tom Slick
    replied
    I made mine from 1/2” thin ply plywood.

Leave a comment:

• Bill in Buena Park
    replied
    I *think* Hank meant UHMW. Here's an example:
    These sheets have a non-stick low friction durable surface that results in the smoothest possible action when used in homemade or factory original jigs fixtures and fences Ult

Leave a comment:

• tmaceroli
    replied
    Thanks for the replies. I probably should have been more specific. I was concerned with the very thin (less than 1/10th Inch thick) lip around the perimeter of the plate. I'm using the newer Red ZCTP as a model. I was assuming that I would have to try and route that, and I was concerned with heat during the cutting process, and then strength after that. Can you route polycarbonate? For that matter, can you route HDPE? Finally, what is HDMW?

Anyone have a picture of theirs to show?

Best,
    Tony

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    The last one I made was from 1/4 hardboard. It wsa a bit flexier than I wanted, but it worked just fine.

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    replied
    I made several from polycarbonate a few years ago and a couple from HDMW? cutting boards. Still have them somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• tmaceroli
    started a topic Material for BT3100 ZCTP

Material for BT3100 ZCTP

What type of material are people using to make ZCTPs these days? I did a search on the site, but didn't come up with anything. Also, I gather that Lee isn't making them any more. I still have a old one I bought from him years ago, but it's getting a little long in the tooth...

Working...