3D Printing for Discontinued SMT "A" Slide?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cwsmith
    replied
    Wildwillis,

Thanks for joining in here. That was very helpful and I'll look into it, so greatly appreciate your posting.

I've been playing with SketchUP for several versions now, first taking interest back in version ten or so years ago (IIRC) soon after Google introduced it. At one time I thought I was fairly good at it, using it mostly for visualizing objects. I am far more efficient with using Corel Draw for my illustration work (but CorelDraw doesn't do 3D).

With regard to the SketchUP program doing 'solids', last year's (2015) version, under the 'Tools' heading has a 'Solid Tools (Pro Only)' heading. I was not aware that there was an extension that you could add. I'll look into the link that you provided.

Decades ago I tried a version of AutoCad but it seemed far more complicated than necessary (it was probably an initial version, back in the early 70's.) Problem for me was that all the dimensions were oriented off a central 'index'... the way perhaps that one needs for CNC indexing, but not the way I had ever drafted in high school or later in night school. Micrographx Designer and later CorelDraw closer matched my drawing board experience and as a Technical Illustrator, the latter two programs were a much better fit to my chosen profession.

BTW, I'm down here in Binghamton, so welcome neighbor!

Thanks again,

CWS

Leave a comment:

• Wildwillis
    replied
    Originally posted by cwsmith
    Is this issue still alive?

Need some dimensions of an actual printed part to see if the Slide maintains it's dimensions, or if there is shrinkage as an earlier post predicted.

After watching some tutorials on YouTube the other night I understand part of the problem with making a Solids 'STL' file. Apparently some printers and/or the conversion process itself only understands metric. So if I understand it correctly, if I make a decimal dimension like 0.25 (1/4 inch), it gets read as 0.25 mm, which would be something like 0.0098 inches.

I went ahead and redrew Slide B, and by making the individual protrusions (pins, etc.) separately, I was able to then make those 'solid' which I could then position against the largest part. I couldn't group that, but as I understand it, the conversion to the 'STL' file should handle that. The 'bridging' is another challenge though, as you can't build any structure in midair. For that, the part would have to be redesigned. I have some idea how to do that, but we'll see.

I have made detail draws of both slides A & B and will attach them again as PDF files, for those who expressed a desire to make them from scrap wood or other stock. Machining something that small will be interesting I'm sure.

In any case, here are the drawings all put together as a Zip file. Let me know if that presents a challenge to anyone.

If I don't read anything over the next few days I presume it's a dead issue. Either way, the detail drawing may prove of value to anyone who wishes to take up the challenge in the future.

Oh, forgot to mention. While my SketchUp Pro is only a 30-day trial, I did find AutoDesk's "123D" Design software absolutely free, with no time limit. It looks interesting, although definitely with a learning curve. Not something I imagine I'll be becoming quickly productive with; especially with everything else I have to do. (I still have that new shop I'd like to get back to.) But we shall see if we can fit "123D" into my off time. For those who might be interested, here's the link:

CWS
    Sorry if this is off-base a bit as I don't have time at the moment to go back and read the rest of the thread, but I saw your comment about the trouble with dimensions being converted in mm and thought I'd chime in since I have a little (okay very little) experience making a few drawings in SketchUp and then 3D printing them on a Makerbot at a local library that has a 3D printer.

I had difficulty at first with the exported STL file coming out in mm as well (what I drew as 1" came out as 1mm if I remember correctly). I was exporting to STL using the free STL exporter plugin. I apologize for being a little vague on the specifics, I had to change the option for export units to millimeters. It seemed a bit counter-intuitive but that will make a drawing that's created in inches come out the right size. I did a quick search and the following link gives a link to the plugin and some explanation.

Also, I didn't find that I needed any of of the "pro" features in SketchUp in my limited use. The non-pro version is free unless something has changed since I last used it (again, sorry if I missed something posted previously). I believe you can export directly to an STL file with the Pro version but the plugin I referenced does the same thing. There are lots of good free plugins available - the vast majority of which o have no idea how to use but there are lots of YouTube videos to help.

That being said, I'm definitely interested in trying the free Autodesk software the next time I have an excuse to try drawing something. As a novice who learned CAD in college when AutoCAD was still only in2D, I had some difficulty with curves in SketchUp - primarily due to the way it creates curves out of segments. I was frequently battling holes in my solids that resulted from trying to intersect portions of curves and circles.

Anyway, good luck and I hope that helped a little!

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    replied
    I am still curious if this will work. I would be willing to try it but I think you creators should have first shot at it. If 5 or 6 are created, ask for volunteers to test it.

Leave a comment:

• cwsmith
    replied
    Is this issue still alive?

Need some dimensions of an actual printed part to see if the Slide maintains it's dimensions, or if there is shrinkage as an earlier post predicted.

After watching some tutorials on YouTube the other night I understand part of the problem with making a Solids 'STL' file. Apparently some printers and/or the conversion process itself only understands metric. So if I understand it correctly, if I make a decimal dimension like 0.25 (1/4 inch), it gets read as 0.25 mm, which would be something like 0.0098 inches.

I went ahead and redrew Slide B, and by making the individual protrusions (pins, etc.) separately, I was able to then make those 'solid' which I could then position against the largest part. I couldn't group that, but as I understand it, the conversion to the 'STL' file should handle that. The 'bridging' is another challenge though, as you can't build any structure in midair. For that, the part would have to be redesigned. I have some idea how to do that, but we'll see.

I have made detail drawings of both slides A & B and will attach them again as PDF files, for those who expressed a desire to make them from scrap wood or other stock. Machining something that small will be interesting I'm sure.

In any case, here are the drawings all put together as a Zip file. Let me know if that presents a challenge to anyone.

If I don't read anything over the next few days I presume it's a dead issue. Either way, the detail drawings may prove of value to anyone who wishes to take up the challenge in the future.

Oh, forgot to mention. While my SketchUp Pro is only a 30-day trial, I did find AutoDesk's "123D" Design software absolutely free, with no time limit. It looks interesting, although definitely with a learning curve. Not something I imagine I'll be coming quickly productive with; especially with everything else I have to do. (I still have that new shop I'd like to get back to.) But we shall see if we can fit "123Design" into my off time. For those who might be interested, here's the link:

CWS
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cwsmith; 03-20-2016, 10:36 AM. Reason: word corrections - see italics

Leave a comment:

• cwsmith
    replied
    JoeyGee

Sorry to hear that, I wonder why that is occuring? Please let us know what you find.

All Thumbs,

I think they're made of Delrin, which is actually pretty durable. (Another member mentioned that earlier in this thread.) I too think some change could me made, if for no other reason than to make them easier to print, especially Slide B. Anyone with some design suggestions please chime in.

I'm in the process of redrawing Slide B and making a detail drawing for the dimensions. The last couple of days have been all too busy.

CWS

Leave a comment:

• JoeyGee
    replied
    I have to bow out of this process, I think. The printer I'm using has developed some ridges on the plate and is screwing up all my prints. I might give it a shot again if I can get the plate replaced.

Leave a comment:

• All Thumbs
    replied
    You know I was never thrilled with the way the SMT adjusted, those parts seemed so delicate. Now that you guys are making these I wonder if there isn't room for improvement.

Leave a comment:

• cwsmith
    replied
    I actually drew slide B first, as I thought it the most fragile or subject to wear, mistaking it for "A". However, I did run into problems trying to make a "solid" out of it. I'll try again later this morning.

With slide A, I could not make the whole piece a solid. The best I could do was make the base piece (flat part with the center hole) a solid and the make the two pillars into solids and then move them into position. Although I could group the entire component, SketchUp would not make the 'group' solid, no matter how I drew it, or the order it was arranged. It was frustrating as I built this several times. Even the recommend option from the download library wouldn't fix it.

It did give me the impression that conversion to STL would resolve the issue though. Maybe that is why your seeing a difference.

CWS

Leave a comment:

• atgcpaul
    replied
    atgcpaul,

Thanks, that looks pretty neat. I see a couple of minor flaws in the top surface of the pillars. The big question of course is whether this held the dimensions... can you do some quick checking against the drawing?

Sorry about the Imperial dimensions, but that is the instruments that I have to measure (A vernier caliper and micrometer). I too of course could export them to millimeter as the choice is offered, but of course I had no idea of the specific printer's requirements. If anyone would like the drawing modified in millimeters and/or for me to make the "STL" file in metric I would gladly do so... let me know.

If this works, perhaps it would be better to produce the SketchUp and resulting "STL" file with four slides, instead of just one. That way any print would be a complete set. Should I also make the Slide B, and see how that goes?
    I'll take some measurements when I get back to work tomorrow. I left it at my desk.

The Imperial dimensions are fine. I'm still a newb at the 3D printer. I guess the Makerbot prefers millimeters.

I guess you might as well sketch up Slide B, too. I can print "rafts" under the open areas but it will require some cleanup.

Leave a comment:

• atgcpaul
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeyGee
    HMMM...just printed this and I did not get the pillars, though they are in the drawing. I will have to try it again.
    Although the part is a whole component in Sketchup, I thought it was strange that the pillars were a darker color than the rest of the base. I wonder if that's got something to do with the pillars not printing for you.

Leave a comment:

• JoeyGee
    replied
    I haven't gotten back to it. The printer got tied up making my Raspberry Pi 3 case

I'll try again tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• cwsmith
    replied
    atgcpaul,

Thanks, that looks pretty neat. I see a couple of minor flaws in the top surface of the pillars. The big question of course is whether this held the dimensions... can you do some quick checking against the drawing?

As I see it, the two plastic pieces, Slide A and Slide B, basically sandwich together to form a notch of sorts. The two slides mate together and are bolted to the top aluminum table (Ryobi Illustration Page 46, index "1") of the SMT. The Slides are fitted to ride on the outer edge track of the long sheet steel miter base (14) which is locked to the rails.

So, that notch created by the two slides (A and B, index 25 & 28) act as a support and guide as the SMT table is sliding. The weight is on Side B, but the lateral movement is constrained by Slide A. It is the outer edge of the pillars that limit the lateral movement of the SMT table. As they wear, the adjustment of eccentric bolts take out any slop. So, that 0.510 width of "pillars" and it's centering within the 0.867 width of the slide would be the critical dimensions I would think.

The notch in those "pillars" seem to act only as a method to index (locate) the mating Slide B, IMO.

Sorry about the Imperial dimensions, but that is the instruments that I have to measure (A vernier caliper and micrometer). I too of course could export them to millimeter as the choice is offered, but of course I had no idea of the specific printer's requirements. If anyone would like the drawing modified in millimeters and/or for me to make the "STL" file in metric I would gladly do so... let me know.

We'll see how Joe's print turns out and then I'll make whatever modifications required.

If this works, perhaps it would be better to produce the SketchUp and resulting "STL" file with four slides, instead of just one. That way any print would be a complete set. Should I also make the Slide B, and see how that goes?

Thanks again for showing the finished part print,

CWS

Leave a comment:

• JoeyGee
    replied
    HMMM...just printed this and I did not get the pillars, though they are in the drawing. I will have to try it again.

Leave a comment:

• atgcpaul
    replied
    Here is the detail drawing and I've attached the SketchUp files.

Please let me know if you can use these as attached. Also if I've missed something in the detail, let me know of any changes.

Thanks,

CWS
    I found when I opened the STL file in the Makerbot software, I got a warning that says "This object seems very small. It may have been designed in inches. Would you like to scale it to mm?" If you don't Rescale, it looks like a spec on the platform, but if you do, it looks OK.

I had to install the newest Sketchup to open the file. When I exported it back to STL, I chose Millimeters as the export unit. This time it imported to the Makerbot software fine. (Scaling it to mm in the previous step would have worked, too) I started the print job on one of the Makerbots. Hopefully that one is working. The other 3 are in use right now. I'll let you know how it goes. It's predicting 18 minutes until it's done.

Here's the printed part. This MB has 2 filaments and you can see the white support filament is still stuck on the bottom of the blue part. I'll try again later without the support and print the blue part directly on the bed. I can try to print at a higher resolution; the corners of those 4 pillars are a little rough. The part does feel pretty rigid. I'm not sure how strong this part needs to be in actual use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160316_154106_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	787671
    Last edited by atgcpaul; 03-16-2016, 02:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JoeyGee
    replied
    I'll work on getting then printed tonight and see how it goes. If I do get it to print, I'll try it on my 3100. I'm getting rid of my SMT, anyway, so I don't care if I screw up my alignment. It's not aligned, anyway, lol.

Leave a comment:

Working...