3D Printing for Discontinued SMT "A" Slide?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dirtmover
    commented on 's reply
    Sometimes we're too blinkered by what manufacturers provide us to see the obvious. I came to pick up the stl file to print some sliders and left with some delrin rollers.

• nicer20
    commented on 's reply
    I just saw your photos in the earlier post. Nice design. Is this a single piece or two pieces?

• snowmansmedleys
    replied
    I really don't like shilling, but I've made replacement slide sets.
    They're my own design based on the OEM parts, but slightly different.
    Their printed in either Nylon 6/6 or 6/12, so they're silky smooth and wear like iron.

BT3000 or BT3100 Nylon Miter Table Slides (1 complete set) 661845001 661844001

I'll post this in the other threads that I found. Feel free to delete my posts and shove it in a new thread if you feel that's more fitting.

Leave a comment:

• Macsauce2012
    replied
    If anyone can 3D print these for me and ship them to I would be so appreciative, of course I'd would pay for the trouble.

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    replied
    absolutely great! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• camillaleonila
    replied

Leave a comment:

• camillaleonila
    replied
    Originally posted by leehljp
    Thank you for posting that. Often the SIMPLEST is the best! Looks great and even I can make those on my lathes. It might take a couple of tries, but it will be worthwhile.

THANKS again for posting that.
    I forgot to save the drawing but I'll send a PDF when I'm at work Monday with all the dimensions! I really like being a part of this community!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    replied
    Thank you for posting that. Often the SIMPLEST is the best! Looks great and even I can make those on my lathes. It might take a couple of tries, but it will be worthwhile.

THANKS again for posting that.

Leave a comment:

• camillaleonila
    replied
    Yeah my machine came with three eccentric screws and one "normal" one.

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    replied
    That looks great. Did you use eccentric screws? The Ryobi OEMs use eccentric screws to set the table into alignment.

Leave a comment:

• atgcpaul
    replied
    Those look nice.

I seem to remember there being an eccentric screw somewhere in that SMT assembly. I don't remember if it was for these shims or something else.

Leave a comment:

• camillaleonila
    replied
    Soooo I had my work make me prototypes of turned delrin rollers. I think I still need to clean my machine up a bit cuz they keep getting snagged, but the pieces seem pretty solid!

Now to tackle the shim issue! I got a hold of 8 mil thick stainless. Can anyone point me in the direction of dimensions I need for the shims? I have yet to take apart my motor so I don't know the state of them but I would like to make my own since I have a metal brake in my workshop

Last edited by camillaleonila; 11-06-2020, 12:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• atgcpaul
    replied
    Originally posted by camillaleonila
    Ah, it makes sense that two separate pieces is more of a production design consideration. I'm not trying to criticize your design since the OEM was two pieces as well. It seems to be just as easy to injection mold a one piece slider vs two...RYOBI.

My work actually has a 3D printer and stacked machine shop. I'm just waiting til the 3D printer is free to sneak these parts in...as well as end caps for my miter gauge since they're chipped. I was thinking of asking the machine shop to make some one piece slider prototypes out of delrin. It would be great to get some feedback on the ones y'all designed!
    No criticism taken. The Ryobi parts seem over complicated. I don't think it's been settled if that was for a reason or not.

Take a look at the eBay link Hank posted. I wonder if there are merits to that design over the one we came up with. If there are, it's not immediately obvious especially since it requires two unique parts versus the one universal one. I suppose with our design, some torque on the part could break off the tab since they're printed in layers, but I don't see how they'd get torqued.

Leave a comment:

• camillaleonila
    replied
    Ah, it makes sense that two separate pieces is more of a production design consideration. I'm not trying to criticize your design since the OEM was two pieces as well. It seems to be just as easy to injection mold a one piece slider vs two...RYOBI.

My work actually has a 3D printer and stacked machine shop. I'm just waiting til the 3D printer is free to sneak these parts in...as well as end caps for my miter gauge since they're chipped. I was thinking of asking the machine shop to make some one piece slider prototypes out of delrin. It would be great to get some feedback on the ones y'all designed!

Leave a comment:

• cwsmith
    replied
    camillaleonila,

This isn't my design, the credit really belongs to 'atgcpaul', whom I had the privilege of working with. If you look back through the earlier pages of this thread you'll see the back-and-forth process we went through and I just did the final drawings.

Personally I think the design was pretty nice. Instead of developing two individually unique pieces that had to be mated together, a single design could simply be printed and by inverting one onto the other it was a match. Just one design and it fits the need without having those tiny little holes and mating pins possibly damaged. The new design made for a much easier pattern to print.

I have not had the need personally to use these yet, and I passed my samples on to another member who had a more immediate need. So it would be nice if anyone ran into a problem with them or found them to be satisfactory.

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 11-03-2020, 07:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...