• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drbuzz
    Handtools only
    • Jan 2014

New (used) BT3100 Blade Elevation Issue

Hey there,

I bought a used BT3100 for $60 that appears to be in good shape. I knew it had an elevation problem, but figured I could clean things up and replace a few parts for that price.

I tried cleaning it up and sprayed some silicone on the shims and elevation mechanism. While the silicone was wet things freed up some, but as soon as it dried, things got worse. I noticed that when I sprayed the horizontal gear shaft (inside the saw) around the cutch, that things got much better, but again, once it dried it got worse.

I finally removed the guide holder and shims and there is some rust on the spring shims and some wear on the rear shims. They were also dirty. I don't think the saw has ever been cleaned or lubed.

I cleaned off the tracks where the shims ride with brakeclean and I will wax with paste wax. The face of the "locker bracket" has a pretty rough surface on one lower track, which looks to be from either poor machining or maybe from binding, I can't tell. Maybe I should try and lightly sand it smoother with a firm sanding block and some fine paper. What do you think? How do I apply the wax and do I wipe it off with a rag before assembly? How do I paste wax the vertical screw assembly?

I am also thinking of disassembling the gear shaft and clutch but I can's see how to do that. I could not find a tutorial on how to take that stuff apart. Is it difficult to do? Has anyone done it? Do you think it would be a good idea since I have the Motor free to swing back on the vertical shaft? Or should I just wax the shims and guides, spray some graphite in the clutch area, and put it all back together and try it out first?

I guess spray silicone wasn't such a good idea. The guy I bought it from said he had just sprayed wd40 on the elevation mechanism from the front side and "it helped a little".

Hoping to get some help from the long time owners here. I appreciate any suggestions.
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Silicone was a really bad idea. you will need to first clean every single surface with mineral spirits to make sure you remove all traces of the silicone or risk finishing problems with whatever wood you cut for possibly years to come. Rather than sanding you might try polishing with rouge. For many candle wax works great for lubing the elevation screw.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• drbuzz
      Handtools only
      • Jan 2014

thanks for the reply. Brakecleen should take of most of the silicone.
      Still waiting for replies to the other questions.

Comment

• smithb9
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2013
        • Boston MA
        • BT3100

any tips on how to remove the roll pin #52?

my bt3100 is having similar elevation issues, the last thing I figure it could be is the washer under the vertical bevel gear. Figuring I can replace it with a 3/8" washer if it's bent, and that should help, otherwise the saw is getting junked because I'm at my wit's end.

edit: did some browsing and got the roll pin out with some punches. seems the washer under the bevel gear is undersized, and has ground a recess into the aluminum bevel gear, I wonder if this is causing the issue. everything else seems like it moves smoothly. Gonna get some fender washers tomorrow to replace the existing, and lube them up with wax to see if that does it.
        Last edited by smithb9; 03-03-2014, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Working...