• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skip C
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • Rowley, MA.

Rip fence

I have my rip fence nicely aligned with the back end just just a whisker off to the right. My problem is the the catch on the backside will not release its grip on the rear rail when I lift the handle on the front of the fence.

I must say that I really do not understand how the rip adjustment screws work and I am afraid to mess with anything as the fence is quite accurate so I just put up with sliding the rear of the fence off the end of the rail instead of just lifting it up. BUT if I were to attempt to fix the problem, how would I go about it?

altho aligning the SMT is much more complicated, I understand the alignment procedure much better than that on the rip fence.

Thanks, Skip
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

I was having a not-too-dissimilar problem, so I dove in a few days ago to fix it. I agree the mechanism is a head scratcher.

I found that the "catch" (called Clamper - B in the drawings) was hanging up in the Roller Holder housing. I disassembled everything, including the Roll Pin holding Clamper - B in place. Filing some roughness off the sides of Clamper -B and a touch of grease solved the problem.

If you have to go this route, here's a tip. When disassembling, stand the fence assembly on end, with the handle down. Remove the Roller Holder, trying to keep the Rod in place at the Front Block - it's a bear to replace. Not having to remove the Front Block should maintain the fence alignment.
    JR

Comment

• Skip C
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2004
      • Rowley, MA.

OK. I am going to take a close look at the procedure and then decide if I want to chance screwing up my nice alignment!! Thanks!

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

The rear clamper and roller holder do not effect alignment of the fence. There are three possible causes for you problem:
        1) adjust screw binding in the hole it goes through in the roller holder
        2) fence handle not raising fully
        3)spring tab on roller holder broken and no longer functioning.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

By the way Skip it is okay to have to lift the front off and then push towards the back to unhook the rear clamper. Perhaps that will work for you.

There is a captured coil spring on a rod inside the rip fence that moves and presses the adjustment screw on the rear clamper to lock the rear of the fence. If your fence once worked and now does not did you take it apart about the time it stopped working?
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...