• Show
Clear All
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Blade arbor issue

I picked up a(nother) BT3000, this one had a stripped blade raising thread. Saw was already disassembled, so I repaired the thread and am now reassembling the saw.

I'm to the point of reassembling the slide and shims and have run into a problem. The arbor bearing won't go into the recess far enough for the two screws to "catch" the back plate around the arbor shaft. I have tried tapping on the housing and got the bearing to go in about halfway, but it won't go further.

From the posts about shims and belt replacement, it sounds like the bearing should easily slide on - is that correct? If so, any thoughts on what might be the problem?

Second question - what's the best sequence to assemble the bevel gears? The gear on the blade raising lever has been removed, and I'm not sure whether to install that gear first, the lead screw first, and whether to do it before or after shim installation.

Thanks.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night
  • russde
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2013

Can't help with the bevel gears...

But when I re-fit the 3100 shims on my 3000 I used screws that were just a bit longer than the originals...but only to start...then once the bearing had entered the recess I switched back to the regular screws...

Not my own idea, it's mentioned in the upgrade shim article by...(be right back)

Comment

• russde
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2013

It's in this article by David Green

Best,
      Russel

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Got the bearing figured out, it was just turned a little, got that part together.

Now I just need to get the bevel gear back on the shaft from the front handle. Doesn't seem to be enough movement to put it on after the motor is in place, and there doesn't seem to be enough room to install the motor after the handle gear is in place.

Any suggestions?
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

Working...