• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skip C
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • Rowley, MA.

rail hinges

I just rec'd a set of rail hinges from T-nuts. I must add that Robert of T-nuts was extremely helpful as there was a glich in the t-nuts discount code for bt3 and he he sent me a personal email and we finished the order over the phone (seems he created a new discount code for 2013 but forgot to tell his computer!).

the parts arrived quickly and I have installed them and per Robert's advice, I also installed a piece of metal stock attached to t-nuts to the inside face of each rail for support. The metal stock can hold the rails together but any weight even the accessory table will start to collapse the extended rails. I naively thought that the hinges and a metal support would be adequate to hold up sheet goods! I don't think that anything less than a leg will be adequate. Oh yes, I added a half rails (not full rails) to the original rails.

Has anyone had any experience with the hinge kits? Is there anyway to support the extended rails without the use of a leg?

Thanks, Skip
  • softop41
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Plainfield, IL, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Skip C
    I just rec'd a set of rail hinges from T-nuts. I must add that Robert of T-nuts was extremely helpful as there was a glich in the t-nuts discount code for bt3 and he he sent me a personal email and we finished the order over the phone (seems he created a new discount code for 2013 but forgot to tell his computer!).

the parts arrived quickly and I have installed them and per Robert's advice, I also installed a piece of metal stock attached to t-nuts to the inside face of each rail for support. The metal stock can hold the rails together but any weight even the accessory table will start to collapse the extended rails. I naively thought that the hinges and a metal support would be adequate to hold up sheet goods! I don't think that anything less than a leg will be adequate. Oh yes, I added a half rails (not full rails) to the original rails.

Has anyone had any experience with the hinge kits? Is there anyway to support the extended rails without the use of a leg?

Thanks, Skip
    I had half rails mounted on his hinges for several years before I got rid of my BT3100 and never needed any support on the outer end. If you have a BT3100 with the splayed leg stand you should be OK too; if you have a BT3000 with the straight leg stand YMMV.
    Jerry
    Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

Working...