• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

An Anniversery...

It was this week back in 1993 that I purchased my BT3000 for $550 from Home Base as a birthday present. My only BT3000. It is still running like the day it was made, maybe better. I remember all of the folks on the various woodworking forums that said they were junk and wouldn't last.

I just finished a two year remodeling project of our home. It took me two years since we are watching our grandkids 4 days a week. The projects included new 6 panel oak doors throughout, including all of the closet bifold doors. All new oak trim and casings throughout the house. 3/4" white oak floors were installed in the living room, dining room and upstairs hallway. The stairway was redone in oak with oak railings and ballisters. In addition, the kitchen got redone with new counter tops, granite sink, and faucets. While the BT3000 didn't do all of the cutting, it did an awful lot. What it didn't do was done by my Ryobi 10" compound miter saw.

I have an early production BT3100 in storage and I am not sure when, or if, it will ever be used. I have to go shovel snow now. Take care all.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by Jim Frye
    I just finished a two year remodeling project of our home. It took me two years since we are watching our grandkids 4 days a week. The projects included new 6 panel oak doors throughout, including all of the closet bifold doors. All new oak trim and casings throughout the house. 3/4" white oak floors were installed in the living room, dining room and upstairs hallway. The stairway was redone in oak with oak railings and ballisters. In addition, the kitchen got redone with new counter tops, granite sink, and faucets. While the BT3000 didn't do all of the cutting, it did an awful lot. What it didn't do was done by my Ryobi 10" compound miter saw.
    Not too shabby for a piece of crap, aluminum, TOY saw......
    Last edited by Pappy; 02-07-2011, 11:41 PM.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Congrats. It is great to hear good news like this. My freight from Japan arrived today and I now have 2 and 1/2 BT3x00s.

They work well for me too!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

I bought a display BT3000 when the 3100 came out as a back up/parts saw. Brought it home, fired it up to test it, and put it in storage. Still sitting there waiting to be needed.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Jim,

Good to read your post. I don't have nearly the mileage or projects on my fairly new BT3100-1, so it's good to know that with proper care this little beauty will probably serve me for quite a few more years.

I absolutely love this saw and since it's my first table saw, with your post it may well be a possible that it could be my only table saw. It certainly does everything I've asked of it so far.

But I'm beginning to think I'm spoiled... curiosity had me looking at the new Ridgid 4512 a few weeks ago, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to move the "wings". (I don't think the "orange apron" know either, as he just gave me a strange look when I asked.... Guess he never saw a BT!)

Thanks for the post,

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

More than a decade later and mine is still going strong. Happy anniversary Jim! How about posting some pics of your latest work.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • On the TARDIS
              • BT 3100

Happy Aniversary! I have been with my 3100 for around five years. The first real project I built was a quilt rack as wedding gift. I remember it slicing through the white ash like a hot knife through butter.
              From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• cork58
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006
                • Wasilla, AK, USA.
                • BT3000

Bought mine about the same time to remodel an auto parts store. Just wore out another pivot pin on the smt. Better get another spare ordered!
                Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• Turaj
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                  • BT3000 (1998)

Happy Anniversary Jim Your feedback and those from another Jim was the main reasons why I bought mine back in 1999 (BT3000 was C$699 back then) and I have never regret the decision! Thank you BTW!!! I just wish I had more time to put more mileage on it.
                  Turaj (in Toronto)
                  "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• wardprobst
                    • Jan 2006
                    • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                    • Craftsman 22811

Yep, over a decade on the Craftsman version with a spare I picked up off of Craig's list waiting inn the wings. Small gloat- BT3000 in good shape with router kit, bigger Ryobi router hanging under for $100 American. But it doesn't touch the RBI Scroll saw in mint condition for $100 from a customer who made an appointment to tune the piano- wahoo.
                    DP
                    www.wardprobst.com

Comment

Working...