• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

This might be something I can ...um...handle.
    3/8" is quite small for a hand wheel. Especially if we stick an adapter inside.
    I'll take mine off and see what I can come up with in the way of an adapter to fit standard wheels.
    I bought some hand wheels that were made of zinc I think. 1/4" shafts. They are only about 2.75" diameter. With hand wheels, the bigger the better up to a point.
    With the secondary lever behind these, the size is limited to close to the original. Any type of metal though, will be better than what was on the 3100's.
    Lee

Comment

• os1kne
      • Jan 2003
      • Atlanta, GA
      • BT3100

I'm pretty sure that Loring's got the right info (he usually does). Sometime after Christmas, I'll see if I can find more information in my garage.
      Bill

Comment

• RockyJohn
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2002
        • Colorado Springs, CO, USA.
        • BT 3100 'till the motor goes!

Timely Thread - Darnit

Was just catching up on new posts yesterday, and read this thread. Then, last night, I decided to completely lower the blade so I could place my newly built Dovetail Jig stand/storage box (the Shopnotes.Woodsmith plan) on the saw top, and broke the frigging handwheel at the base. I quickly went upstairs to the computer, pulled up this thread again, and did some Google searches. The obvious hits were indicating a couple weeks before it shipped, but found one place on Amazon that will probably ship today. Yes, shipping is way more than the part (around $7.00), but it will hopefully be here by the weekend. Just starting a project for my daughter.

Meanwhile, I went back to the shop, mixed up a small batch of fiberglass body filler and rejoined the two pieces. I used as much as I thought I could without interfering with the other parts in the assembly, and left it firmly clamped in my woodworking vise jaws all night. Looks good this morning, and am anxious to get home and see if it holds.

Big thing I will be doing tonight before trying the crank is CLEANING the **** thing which, if I had kept up with maintenance/cleaning/lubrication, could have prevented this whole frustrating problem.
        John Gleason
        I'm 62 - Halfway to 124. That makes me Middle-Aged!

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

I did locate a hand wheel blank that is made of cast iron. The wheel itself is 5" diameter, which is only a hair larger than my BT wheel.
          I will have to mill the outer hub down to .9". It is 1.25" now.

I will mill the inside with the two flats and a small hole for the cap screw in the end.
          This one doesn't come with a revolving handle, but I will mill a flat for that. I think we can just reuse the ones of broken plastic knobs. That part is pretty robust.
          I'm sure this handle is raw cast iron. I did order one to see how it goes. I think with some powder coating on there, you would surely have a handle that would far outlast the saw.
          The bad part is just the handwheel blanks is about, so we would be looking at about $32 to $40 I think for a finished part. Have to see how tough the crust on the iron is to mill.
          I would think though that just the feel of a cast iron handle would be worth it, but thats just me.
          I'll let ya'll know what I come up with.
          Drop me an email if you think you might be interested in one of these.
          Lee

Comment

Working...