X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skaning
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2010

Sticking elevation drive

About 14 years ago I went through a tear-down of my Sears re-badged BT3000. Someone else had used it and suddenly elevation drive didn't work. The fix I did is recorded in the archives under JohnG. Three moves later, a couple of clean-outs and the saw was still working OK. Then about 80% through a project, blade change, ran the blade down to make final setup and here we go again. Elevation stuck. Arghhhhh

OK, I have not been religious with this saw. Gotta be the shims. Left cover off, pull shroud and blade.

Out with mini flash light. Uh shims are just fine thank you, right where I Glued them with a dab of contact cement 14 years ago.

Could the helicoil repair have gone south after all this time? Pull right side cover. Threads look good but still. OK time to retrieve the write up I did back when. Good luck finding a hard copy after three moves. Not on Computer, that was 4 of them ago and probably 3 hard drive crashes. Find file, 7" floppy.

Wonder if the Ryobi site is still there where I posted. Nope.

Googled BT3000 and found B3TCentral and lo and behold there it was in the archives. I see others had gone through this more recently and added pictures to their write up.

Anyhow, went through the bevel gear roll pin removal routine, and it was a bit more of a problem because I had added a cabinet inside the stand, but the roll pin came out finally.

Shaft threaded out nice as you please and the helicoils looked fine.

Started playing with the crank handle and aha, that's hard to turn. A little PB Blaster near the spring where the inner shaft was exposed I prefer PB Blaster to WD-40 but expect either might work. Suddenly the shaft loosened up. I had seen a lot of posts in the past about lubing the shims and the elevation threaded shaft but never anything on the crank shaft Again, it's a 15 year old saw and I know I never paid attention to this area.

Saw is apart now so I'll take a day to really clean it up. Readjust the shims and go through the alignment. This saw has been a workhorse and portable when I needed that to happen.

New 30 x 40 is shop underway finally and I expect to plunge for a new Grizzly cabinet saw or similar but the Ryobi will probably build the cabinets and interior. Afterward s it will still have a spot simply because there are times you need a saw but don't want to tear down a setup you are still using.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Glad you tracked it down.

I'll lube my 21829 fairly frequently now. With the gravity rise stand the rails will be vertical quite often. I'll spray a little lube in that area every once in a while. It sure does make a difference.
    Erik

Comment

• jdon
      Established Member
      • Feb 2010
      • Snoqualmie, Wash.
      • BT3100

Nice story! I'm a bit curious about the 7" floppy, though. I recall the old 8" and 5-1/4" floppies, but never heard of 7 inchers.

Please post if the additional lube helps- my BT3100 is developing similar symptoms. Thanks.

Comment

Working...