• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gjat
    • Nov 2005
    • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
    • BT3100

Question on installing DSMT

I'm finally installaing my DSMT. It came with the shims, which I supplemented with aluminum take, but it's still lower than the saw table. (Yes, I know the SMT is a touch higher.)

How important is it for the DSMT to be at the same height as the table?
    If it needs to be shimmed further, should I use something other than tape, something that is more dimensionally stable?
    Any problems with it shifitn considering theirs only a single attachment point on each end

Also, reading sailor's woes with his SMT, I was thinking a making a sled that incoroporated the SMT with the DSMT. That would allow me to make the miter fence farther back, giving me 3 or 4 more inches of cross cut capacity. I think that would make the entire sled more stable and controlled when moving.

Anybody utilize both for a sled, or am I risking fatal injury??
    Last edited by gjat; 08-06-2010, 12:01 PM.
  • gjat
    • Nov 2005
    • BT3100

bump ????

Comment

• bigstick509
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Macomb, MI, USA.
      • BT3100

Thanks for bumping your post. I was in the process of finally getting ready to install my DSMT but was side tracked by the need to store a car for my son. So with his car taking up half my shop/garage the DSMT install is on hold. Looking forward to any input anyone can give about DSMT installation and use.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• rcp612
        Established Member
        • May 2005
        • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
        • Bosch 4100-09

Mine ended up slightly lower than the table top, but not enough to be a problem. If it is that much lower I believe I'd use brass shim stock for spacing. They stock quite a variety in my local hobby store.
        As for the mounting, that was covered in great detail in this post: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=43083.
        Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• gjat
          • Nov 2005
          • BT3100

Your insert is perfect.

Any issues with the DSMT being a bit lower?

Do you use a mitersled with that set-up?

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

I would really recommend making it as level with the table top as you can. Uneven surfaces can cause some cuts to be slightly off.

I have been working on some trophy bases with miters and bevels and I was having a heck of a time trying to get my beveled cuts for the mitered sides to be perfect. The slight unevenness from my SMT, accessory table, and miter slots was putting things a little out of kilter. I ended up making a sled for doing the cuts I wanted.

I don't quite understand what you might be intending for the SMT and DSMT incorporation.
            Erik

Comment

Working...