• Show
Clear All
  • conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

Shark Guard for BT3

The shark guard came this week. Got it installed and hope this is the right forum for my question. I remember the owners manual saying to keep the splitter - riving knife (whatever its called) about 1/8 inch back from the blade teeth. I have the shark guard set up this way, but I have to raise the blade several inches to get a 3/4 in. piece of wood under the lower plate on the shark guard.
    I just noticed that Whaler posted pics of his new guard and he has the splitter (?) back quite far. But that also allows him to keep the blade lower to cut with.
    So what is prefered? Keep it close to the blade or back far enough and raised to allow wood to pass thru?
    My question is about as clear as mud - sorry.

Thanks,
    Conwaygolfer
  • bigstick509
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Macomb, MI, USA.
    • BT3100

Very good question, I've had my Shark Guard on almost from the beginning and this is one of the design issues that has always had me concerned. I set my splitter approx. 1/8 behind the blade and it does result in a lot of the blade being exposed as I cut. Then again, I might have missing something in the set up procedure for all these years.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Hoover
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • USA.

Whaler has a Dewalt 746x saw, so it uses a splitter not a riving knife. That's why it is further back from the blade.
      No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

Thanks, Guys.
        I will just add a bit. You don't have to seat the knife down as far as it will go. There are some minor variances between saws, and the knife I provide for these gives some room for adjustment.
        I try to lock mine in as close to the top of the teeth as possible without going above. Then let it ride as close as I am comfortable with. An eighth sounds about right.
        Here is the installation link if you haven't seen it.

You can scroll down to the splitter mounting jig and see what I use to make installing easy.

When your knife is installed correctly, you should only lose about 3/8" off the max blade height. In other words, the bottom of the clamp should sit right about 3/8" below the blade teeth. Your stock should be right under this clamp when cutting. It actually lets the clamp act as a hold down to prevent lifting.
        Let me know how it goes.
        Lee

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Ow!

I wish I wouldn't have hit my forehead so hard with to palm of my hand, but those pics show the simple, fool-proof way to install the splitter. Why did it not occur to me before? What was I thinking when I muddled through the trial and error, tilt it this way and that, mess of a procedure I had been using.

Sigh.

JR
          JR

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

That Lee guy, what a funny man. Way too smart to be a moderator.........

Simply brillant!
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• conwaygolfer
              Established Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Conway, SC.
              • BT3000

Thanks Guys

I got my questions answered. Now to find the correct fittings to make use of the dust port on top. Great guard for any saw especially for people who take divots out of their digits.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

Working...