• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

For what it is worth, I had my BT out three times in January during the day when the temps were in the lower to mid 40's and did some ripping, cross cutting and miters. I am making the top and bottom moldings (built up) for a couple of book cases. I had the saw out for about 3 to 4 hours each day and did about 30 minutes or so of cutting each time. (I am slow and deliberate.)
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• MK
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2005

And no problems I assume?

Comment

• drlien
        Forum Newbie
        • Apr 2005
        • CLEAR LAKE, MN, USA.

My rule of thumb is to keep the shop temp above freezing. This reasoning evolved after one really bad weekend about 3 years ago. I was trying to cut some thick stock with my bandsaw with a shop temp of about 20 degrees. About halfway through the cut with blade seemed to slow and I smelled burning rubber. The tires on the bandsaw wheels had actually started spinning on the wheel. The tires were ruined. After that I went over to the BT to try to do some other work. To make a long story short, I broke the belts on the BT too. I do believe that the belt breakage was more of a function of a sloppy in-feed of sheet goods, but 2 big machines broke in one weekend led me to believe that installing a shop heater wasn't a bad idea.

Now, with the heater, I keep it above 50 degrees and if I can't get it that warm, I stay inside. I find that I work at a much better pace when I don't have to wear a big bulky winter clothes.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by MK
          And no problems I assume?
          None for me. I spent about 20 minutes getting the miter at precisely 45°. I had some extra boards prepared for the testing. When it was set perfectly, I cut the moldings for the base and the fit was/is perfect! I cut each miter a little long, then came back shaving a bit off until each board was perfect to within about 1/10 mm. The temp was cold for sure but not problems for the saw, me or the wood.
          Last edited by leehljp; 02-09-2010, 08:52 AM.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• mclear
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2007

I live in Northern NJ as well. I usually use a pair of mechanics gloves from Sears when working during the winter months. I still have a good grip on the wood and keeps my fingers warm. I have a small space heater to try to keep the garage above 40.

Comment

• Garasaki
              • Sep 2006

I've worked when the temp was below 40 with no problems.
              -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
              -Henry Blake

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
                • Dec 2002
                • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
                • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by MK
                When is it too cold to operate the saw?
                Try licking the blade; if your tongue sticks, it's too cold

Do not try this at home! T H I S I S A J O K E !
                ==========
                ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
                Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by leehljp
                  What is too cold is a subjective statement. As a kid, I remember home builders and construction sites that would start work at 7 AM or so when the temp was still in the upper 20's. Yes it can be dangerous. But if done for a living, acclimatized to and prepared for the temp and work, then it should be OK in those situations. But that brings up the question if one is prepared in this way? If not, it could be very dangerous!

Those that need to use machinery to make a living are fairly well used to putting up with the cold. There are times when I've draped off certain areas and used a space heater. Other procedures like gluing and finishing may not work very well.

Comment

• phi1l
                    • Oct 2009
                    • Madison, WI

Originally posted by drlien
                    My rule of thumb is to keep the shop temp above freezing. This reasoning evolved after one really bad weekend about 3 years ago. I was trying to cut some thick stock with my bandsaw with a shop temp of about 20 degrees. About halfway through the cut with blade seemed to slow and I smelled burning rubber. The tires on the bandsaw wheels had actually started spinning on the wheel. The tires were ruined. After that I went over to the BT to try to do some other work. To make a long story short, I broke the belts on the BT too. I do believe that the belt breakage was more of a function of a sloppy in-feed of sheet goods, but 2 big machines broke in one weekend led me to believe that installing a shop heater wasn't a bad idea.
                    This is a valid point I hadn't thought of. IIRC from PChem. lab, rubber's response to temperature is counter-intuitive. When rubber gets colder, it tens to relax & stretch out if under tension. So things like BS tires & rubber belts will not be as strong at the ambient temperatures. So if you really must run equipment with significant rubber parts, run them with no load for a while before using. Doing that should flex the rubber enough to warm up the rubber so it has more strength.

Comment

• mschrank
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2004
                      • Hood River, OR, USA.
                      • BT3000

You warm climate guys crack me up! You make it sound like 40-45 degrees should be considered cold!

Heck, where I grew up in NW Montana, that's the temp where we put away our winter coats.

You think all outdoor work and activities ceased when the temp drops below 50?
                      Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• docrowan
                        • Mar 2007
                        • New Albany, MS
                        • BT3100

Daytime highs here in North Mississippi have been in the mid to low 30's for many more days than usual this winter. I've got my small (12'X20') shop partially insulated. I've found that a propane heater, the kind that attaches to a 40 pound propane bottle, coupled with a small electric space heater, can raise the temps to about 45 to 50 degrees. I had to start turning the propane heater off and on after that. If I can work without gloves and earmuffs comfortably, it doesn't matter if I've got thermal underwear and 3 shirts on.

For you northern guys - remember we're cold-weather light weights down here in Mississippi.
                        - Chris.

Comment

• pelligrini
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • Fort Worth, TX
                          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by mschrank
                          You warm climate guys crack me up! You make it sound like 40-45 degrees should be considered cold!

Heck, where I grew up in NW Montana, that's the temp where we put away our winter coats.

You think all outdoor work and activities ceased when the temp drops below 50?
                          Hey, 40 degrees is cold, really cold.
                          Those sub 0 temps I hear about in Montana is absolutely insane.
                          Erik

Comment

• phi1l
                            • Oct 2009
                            • Madison, WI

Originally posted by mschrank

Here in Wis. that's when we put away the shorts & geto out the long pants.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2007
                              • Tacoma, WA
                              • BT3000

From experience

At 30 below zero:
                              Chain saws work just fine, use lighter oil for the chain and really shake up the gas to get the oil mixed.
                              Skil saw has a hard time starting, keep it in the truck until you need it.
                              Truck tires have a flat spot for a few miles but you only need to warm up a gas truck for a few minutes before you drive away.
                              A wet 2x4 when dropped can shatter.
                              If you open the tool box when you bring it inside before it warms up the condensation will rust the tools, same with the box of nails.
                              Battery operated tools have a really short run time.
                              It's almost impossible to use a tape measure with mittens, wear calf skin gloves in your mittens so your hands don't stick to the metal tape measure case.
                              Bic pens don't write so good.
                              The motor on the contractor table saw bounces a bit until the belt warms up and gets round.
                              Those black rubber things with the S hooks on the end stop stretching and really don't hold things on the top of the truck, use rope.
                              Never hold a screw or nail in your mouth.
                              Put your water bottle in an inside pocket.
                              Learn how to explain to the lady that you charge by the hour and it takes you 15 minutes to take your boots off and put them back on again.
                              If your hair gets wet and freezes it can break.

Just remembering this reminds me why I no longer live in Northern Minnesota

Bill
                              now on the Sunny Oregon Coast

Comment

• natausch
                                Established Member
                                • Aug 2009
                                • Aurora, IL
                                • BT3000 - 15A

Agreed with Phil, growing up/living early adult life in Wisconsin I can't even count how many times I saw some fool running around in camo shorts in the middle of a snowstorm.

Me on the other hand, I spent the last two nights finally mounting my direct vent wall heater in my garage. Tin snips and gloves don't work, then again when your hands are cold you don't feel the metal pressure until it's too late.

Also agreed on cold weather tradesmen. The plumber I hired to come in for the hook-up was wearing a sweatshit in 20 degree weather, working in an unheated garage with the door open.

Comment

Working...