X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jcrawf
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2009

Putting it back together

After replacing the belts and/or the shims on the saw the only semi-difficult thing left to do in reassembling the saw is starting the guide holder on the arbor bearing and seating it far enough for the two screws to reach the retaining plate. Some use longer screws for this operation, others a hammer. Here's another way:

Put the parts on the arbor in this order: guide holder, blade washer (flat side in), the 1/4" and 1/2" spacers, second blade washer, enough 5/8" washers to cover about half of the arbor threads, arbor nut.

Use the wrench to lock the arbor, just as you would when changing blades. Use the second wrench to tighten the arbor nut, drawing the guide holder onto the arbor bearing.

Jack
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Did you have problems with the guide holder binding on the arbor bearing? When I had to replace my shims I tried a mallet but the guide holder would bind. I tried your method and it also would bind. I concluded that one of the washers or nuts I was using to take up space wasn't perfectly flat. What worked for me was longer screws because I got very precise control of the guide holder.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Jcrawf
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by crokett
      Did you have problems with the guide holder binding on the arbor bearing? When I had to replace my shims I tried a mallet but the guide holder would bind. I tried your method and it also would bind. I concluded that one of the washers or nuts I was using to take up space wasn't perfectly flat. What worked for me was longer screws because I got very precise control of the guide holder.
      No problem with binding. I held the guide holder square to the arbor bearing, tightened the nut slowly, and it slid together slick as a whistle.
      I would have used your method, but I didn't have the longer screws on hand and getting them entailed a drive to the city, something I avoid whenever possible.
      Jack

Comment

Working...