• Show
Clear All
  • headhunter636
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Federal Way, WA
    • Ryobi BT 3000

Yeah, Shim Time !!!

Funny, I never really knew what the shim thing was until I got to reading today. So, when I got home this afternoon I decided to get my saw all ready to go for the new cutting season and I bet you can never guess (the post title may give it away) what I found. If you guessed shims all bent up and falling out then you would be right. I read just about every post on replacing them and just ordered the parts, hopefully they will not take too long to get here.

I will let you know how the surgery goes. Oh, and I get the added bonus of working a screw loose that is stripped out. Looks like I get to buy a new tool, one of those screw extractor sets. Oh well, it will all be worth it when I am finished.

Dave
    Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"
  • wackii
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by headhunter636
    Funny, I never really knew what the shim thing was until I got to reading today. So, when I got home this afternoon I decided to get my saw all ready to go for the new cutting season and I bet you can never guess (the post title may give it away) what I found. If you guessed shims all bent up and falling out then you would be right. I read just about every post on replacing them and just ordered the parts, hopefully they will not take too long to get here.

I will let you know how the surgery goes. Oh, and I get the added bonus of working a screw loose that is stripped out. Looks like I get to buy a new tool, one of those screw extractor sets. Oh well, it will all be worth it when I am finished.

Dave
    Hi Dave, we are in the same boat. When I try to unscrew the 4 screws and 2 of them got stripped out Looks like I'm going to order the shim tonight as well. Good luck on taking the screw out. I just bought the screw extractor and hopefully it works or else I'm kinda screwed...

Al,

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Don't worry about the screw extractors, guys. They work great. Just take time to use the reamer end properly before you use the extractor end. Just this week I used mine to get a bunch of frozen nuts and bolts out of an above-ground swimming pool. This time, I decided to chuck 'em into my Bosch impact driver, and that made the job even easier. Worked like magic.

Comment

Working...