• Show
Clear All
  • headhunter636
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Federal Way, WA
    • Ryobi BT 3000

Miter Slot, build or buy?

I have been getting my BT3000 set up and decided that while I am getting everything aligned, I would like to add a miter slot to it as well. The question is, should I build one or buy one? I see this one on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/MITER-SLOT-TAB.../dp/B000P8N1EO and it looks to the OEM or at least an equivalent and the price doesn't seem too steep either. Are there any advantages to building over buying?

Thanks in advanced for any help,
    Dave
    Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

With building the chief advantage is you can build exactly what you want and add other things like t-slots if you choose to.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

One of the disadvantages to the OEM miter table is that the two slots are not T-slots. A lot of aftermarket miter guages and tenon jigs make use of a T-slot.
      Erik

Comment

• steve-norrell
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • The Great Land - Alaska
        • BT3100-1

As pelligrini suggests, a build-your-own miter table will have true T-slots and will avoid the 'fall-out' problems of the double slot tables made for the BT3X00. Here is a photo of an example . . . . I used 1/2 in Oak from Lowe's glued and screwed down to 3/4 MDF. You do have to be careful about making sure the slots are parallel to the blade, as you would with the aluminum double slot tables.

Regards, Steve
        Attached Files

Comment

• unknown poster
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006

32" of Incra miter slot is $16 at Woodcraft, plus $10 for 24" of t-slot (on sale this month), and you've spent almost as much building it yourself as just buying those OEM parts. I should know, I just bought that stuff (and more) at Woodcraft yesterday . The advantage of the Incra slots is that it has the bottom shaped for a T slot type miter gauge/slider, but now that I'm seeing the price on OEM parts I'm reconsidering.

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

I prefer the shop-built alternative.

I made an extended miter slot for my machine, in this thread:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=26598

As you can see, it extends past the front of the saw, just like the SMT would. The advantage is that I have a cut-off sled that handles 24" panels with ease.

Now that I have longer rails, I plan on making a replacement that is actually a little wider (to give me a little more support to the left of the saw).

But using what I've already got, I was able to easily construct a build-in cabinet larger than most kitchen cabinets. The saw handled it with ease, and having an extended length miter slot was key.

Comment

• headhunter636
              Established Member
              • Jul 2004
              • Federal Way, WA
              • Ryobi BT 3000

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. It looks like I will tackle the job myself since that seems to give me more control over the design and build quality.

Now, does anyone have any other pointers on how to build it besides what is already available here so far?

Thanks,
              Dave
              Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"

Comment

• unknown poster
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006

I found the sled design I've been looking for! Thanks cgallery!

Comment

Working...