• Show
Clear All
  • tstombaugh
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2008
    • South of Louisville
    • Ryobi BT3100

H. F. Router Table Fence for BT3100

Has anyone had any experience using the H.F Router Table Fence on a BT3100 or does it even work on one? The item number is 97385-D on their web site.
    Thanks
    Tom
  • docrowan
    • Mar 2007
    • New Albany, MS
    • BT3100

Note: Unit is available on harborfreightusa.com, but not on harborfreight.com.

I'm not sure how you would attach it to the BT3100. It's designed to run in a pair of t-tracks built into the router table. If you built your own router table wing for the BT, then this could save you time in having to make your own fence. But, to me, one of the nice features of mounting a router onto your BT3100 is the rock solid and micro-adjustable saw fence.
    - Chris.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

There's a little more info in this thread: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=41068 I've got one I bought attached to my drill press table. It does make for a nice drill press fence. Chris is right, it is designed to mount in T-tracks. It actually comes with a couple sliders that fit into their 3/4" T-Miter slot. Those sliders won't fit my Incra miter slots. I don't know about other manufacturers extrusions though.

I don't think it would make a really good router fence. There are a lot of easily made shop built solutions that would work much better. Some of the hardware might be of use for a shop built one. The two steel rods that go to the extension also keep the fence pieces in alignment. Without them, the two alum fence extrusions can move slightly. The attachment of the aluminum fence parts to the steel angle is by t-bolts, there is a little play in them. That play is mitigated greaty when the rods are in place. The lower rod also passes through the already small dust port opening. I have a feeling that it would be a good place for wood chips to get hung. If you can get it for the $10 price it's still a good buy just for the parts.

I made a router fence that attaches to a second rip fence I picked up. I do like that solution best. Needing to rip a piece, but not mess with the fence setup is impossible with just the one fence. With a BT rip fence attachment you can get a little upward movement on occasion, especially when using featherboards pushing the workpiece down on the table. I will use some quick clamps to hold it down when I'm making cuts like that. It adds a couple more steps for fence adjustment though.
      Last edited by pelligrini; 08-18-2009, 09:15 AM.
      Erik

Comment

• luteman
        Established Member
        • Dec 2007
        • Northern Michigan
        • BT3100-1

I have attached the Freud router fence to my 3100. I drilled and tapped two holes in the saw table in order to use the two mounting bolts that came with the Freud. Solid construction and superior adjustability. Couldn't be happier !!

Comment

• TP1
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by luteman
          I have attached the Freud router fence to my 3100. I drilled and tapped two holes in the saw table in order to use the two mounting bolts that came with the Freud. Solid construction and superior adjustability. Couldn't be happier !!
          I have the SH-5 as well. Can you tell me what size drill hole and tap you used?

Comment

• luteman
            Established Member
            • Dec 2007
            • Northern Michigan
            • BT3100-1

Originally posted by TP1
            I have the SH-5 as well. Can you tell me what size drill hole and tap you used?
            I believe they were 5/16 with tap to match bolt threads. Sorry I can't be more specific but it has been quite a while since I did this.

Comment

Working...