• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Bassett
    Established Member
    • May 2003
    • Shalimar, Florida, USA.

Input Table

I have seen tons of outfeed tables and side tables since I have had my BT3K, but never any infeed tables. One that would be able to cross-cut 12 - 16 inch panels. I realize I could make a sled, but in my crouded 1 car garage, I don't have the room.

Here is a front view of my saw:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL162.../346530997.jpg
    Bob Bassett from Northwest Florida
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Bob,
    I've thought about this myself, and although I haven't built one yet, I have some ideas.
    • First, the infeed table would need to be easily movable/removable, because the lever for the rip fence is likely going to interfere with any kind of fixed infeed table. Some kind of quick-attach hardware for easy mount/dismount to the front rails seems logical.
    • There's the matter of table depth - this will vary by use/user, as each of us have different workpiece needs and comfort levels with leaning over an infeed table as we push a workpiece past the blade.
    • Finally, it'll want adjustable leg height, so we can level the table to the actual saw table.

I've got some extra melamine I've been saving for this (who doesn't? ), and if I can get to it, I'll try to fab something up and post on it.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

I've been toying with the same idea. I think mine will end up being fairly narrow, probably no wider than the main top width. So I could work from either side.

I was thinking of using a similar fastening device like I used for my Knockdown outfeed table. Probably doing the same sliding dovetail on one adjustable leg too.

The main problem I've been working out is dealing with the rip fence handle. Haven't quite figured that out yet.
      Erik

Comment

• docrowan
        • Mar 2007
        • New Albany, MS
        • BT3100

Are you trying to rip or cross-cut? For ripping I just use a pair of roller stands, one in front and one behind the saw.

If you mean cross-cut, how long and wide do you want your pieces to wind up being? You said 12 to 16 inch panels, I'm assuming you mean 12 to 16" wide but how long is the stock you're cutting it out of?
        - Chris.

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Bob,

I must admit to being a little confused I take it you mean you want to cut panels that are deeper than the SMT will allow up to at least 16".

If so then I dont understand why a panel cutting sled would create a space issue as surely an infeed table would be bigger.

I made a simple panel cutting sled and its approx 25" sq. surely this would not take up too much room.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...l+cutting+sled

did I misunderstand the question?
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• Bob Bassett
            Established Member
            • May 2003

Originally posted by docrowan
            Are you trying to rip or cross-cut? For ripping I just use a pair of roller stands, one in front and one behind the saw.

If you mean cross-cut, how long and wide do you want your pieces to wind up being? You said 12 to 16 inch panels, I'm assuming you mean 12 to 16" wide but how long is the stock you're cutting it out of?
            For the sake of discussion, say 35 to 40 inches

Comment

• Bob Bassett
              Established Member
              • May 2003

Originally posted by poolhound
              Bob,

I must admit to being a little confused I take it you mean you want to cut panels that are deeper than the SMT will allow up to at least 16".

If so then I don't understand why a panel cutting sled would create a space issue as surely an infeed table would be bigger.

I made a simple panel cutting sled and its approx 25" sq. surely this would not take up too much room.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...l+cutting+sled

did I misunderstand the question?
              I already have a couple of sleds and , due to the size of the shop, I don't have a lot of room on the walls for storing them

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                Veteran Member
                • May 2007
                • Tacoma, WA
                • BT3000

I use two roller stands with a board on top set to the height of the SMT. It's on the left to hold up the end of the board that is hanging off of the saw. As the cut piece moves forward the board rolls along on the stands. Just be sure it's long enough to not fall off. Works for cutting the end off of a 4x8 sheet too.

Bill

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

My router table is 1/4 shorter than my BT3100 and sits on the infeed side. Normally it is out in the extension rail area but if I need infeed support it gets moved over and the fence gets taken off.

Jim

Comment

Working...