This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WayneS

Play in sliding miter table

I am having difficulty in eliminating "play" in the sliding miter table. Although the movement is not great, it is enough to result in my cuts being out of square by a small amount.
    I have tried to adjust the slides that allow the miter table to move on the base as outlined in the manual but I cannot eliminate the side to side movement. It is possible that these slides have worn, but my 5 year old BT3100 does not get heavy use.
    I'd be grateful for any ideas. Thanks.
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

I recently had to replace the SMT slides after I found out the SMT does not like being dropped on the concrete floor. I had little trouble adjusting them after making sure that they were properly positioned so the table could freely slide (there is a lip on the slide that has to fit in a slot created by Slide A and Slide B).

If you are satisfied that the slides and the bolts that hold the slides in alignment are properly adjusted (Parts Diagram #20, 25, 28, 33) then check the parts that align and hold the SMT to the rails (Parts Diagram #15 [Guide Bar] and the miter locking clamp mechanisms). Make sure they are not loose.

I am sure that others will also have suggestions. Good luck, Steve

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Keep in mind that you can turn the slides 180° and keep using them. There are two wear surfaces designed into them.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• steve-norrell
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • The Great Land - Alaska
        • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Black wallnut
        Keep in mind that you can turn the slides 180° and keep using them. There are two wear surfaces designed into them.
        Good point.

However, when mine broke I couldn't figure out how to glue all those little itty bitty pieces back together. Kind of like "all the king's horses, and all the king's men".

Regards, Steve

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Yup, if the cams are fully adjusted inward, then you got at least one with a flat spot, or some other component problem. Do as Wallnut suggests and turn 'em around and reinstall.

Comment

• WayneS

Thanks for your help. I turned the slides around and presto, was able to snug up nicely so that the slide moves easily but there is no excess play.
            Proving once again, when you need help, ask someone who knows!

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Good question, I had almost given up on the smt. I have never really used it much and when I did, I wasted a piece of ply when the darn smt gave me a tapered cut instead of a nice square piece. I will look into adjusting those cams too!
              Thanks.
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...