• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • L. D. Jeffries
    • Dec 2005
    • Russell, NY, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Molding heads on BT3

Got a free issue of "American Woodworker the other day that had an article called; "9 Tips for Tablesaw Moldings". Made me wonder if this would be an idea to explore? Has anyone out there ever used molding heads on their BT3 or any other table saw? Sounds like a way to beat the high cost of a dedicated molding machine. What do you guy/gals think?
    RuffSawn
    Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

I think you'd have to slow the RPM's down somewhat (for safety's sake), maybe by using one of those router speed controls. But then Loring says doing so will reduce power somewhat, so you'd have to wonder how well the BT3K (already not overwhelming in the power department) would handle the moulding head.

Comment

• jhgrady
      Established Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Alexandria, Va, USA.

I have the older Craftsman molding head with 3 cutters per profile. It works well on the BT3. I use a zero clearance throat plate and take small bites at a time. You can find these molding heads on eBay.

Hope this helps
      John

Comment

• eezlock
        • Feb 2006
        • Charlotte,N.C.
        • BT3100

moulding heads on BT3

I have one of the Sears moulding head cutters for my BT3 saw. Have used it a couple of times...works great, with no problem. It makes a sound like a propeller driven airplane or something like that....kinda loud but that's it.

Remember to make the first cut(s) at a shallow setting, with a small portion of the cutter blade exposed, then move to deeper setting as needed. The first cut should only be about a 3/8" or 1/2" deep into the stock. You will need to make a dedicated throat plate for your saw like you would for a dado head cutter (either stacked or wobble). There are others on the wood working forums who are afraid of these cutters....they are dangerous for sure...but if used properly and in a safe manner are no worse than any other blade that will work on your saw. eezlock

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
          • Dec 2005
          • Russell, NY, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks to those who chimed in with answers. As stated its one of those things that sounds dangerous, and probably is, but all in all, everything we use is dangerous to some degree. Thanks again for the input, guess this is one of those ideas that I will pass on.
          RuffSawn
          Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

I think it would work fine on an occasional basis, but I'd be concerned about wear issues (bearings, belts, motor, etc.) if it were done a lot. That molding head is a lot different in mass and function from a saw blade. A unisaw or other big TS with some cahones behind it would probably fare much better.

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I gave mine away. It seemed pretty heavy for the BT3100 and I can do what I need to with routers.

Jim

Comment

Working...