• Show
Clear All
  • Tomween1
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2008
    • Vermont
    • Ryobi BT3000

Alternate Rip fence

I have owned my BT3000 for 10+ yrs. Best saw I've owned. I wonder if anyone has ever found a better rip fence that would be adaptable to this table? Mine is well worn! I'm getting a new one, but want to see if there's one that's better? Thanks
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Welcome to the site. You're gonna like it here. Sorry, but I don't have any info on a fence for you. Just wanted to welcome you aboard.

Where are you located in Vermont? As a kid, I lived in Burlington and Essex Junction for about 7 years.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• shoottx
      Veteran Member
      • May 2008
      • Plano, Texas
      • BT3000

Welcome to the site! It is the greatest place in the world for BT3K information, and other stuff also.

The only other aftermarket offering I am aware of is the Jointech. It is very expensive but here is the info http://www.jointech.com/ryobi_sawtrain.htm

If you need to adjust your old fence to make it work better, use the search feature and it will bring up a wealth of information. the post
      Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Living overseas, I bought a couple of extra parts for mine and have them on hand in case I need them. Parts can still be purchased through Sears parts, I think.

A second option is to look for a sale on a BT here (on this forum or craiglist/ebay) that is being parted out - i.e. being sold as parts.

A note on the fence - there was one replacement fence offered at one time but no one on either of the two BT3000/3100 support forums had one that I remember. The reason was - the BT fence has always been a great fence in that it would lock into position on both ends and was very accurate once set up. This is for people who took good care of their saw. This saw as not a good saw for ham fisted using but good for the person that took great care.

For a larger fence, I made a sacrificial fence in an "H" shape. I made it so that it would slip very snugly on top of the BT's fence. Worked well and still is after 8 years.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

I'd bet you could adapt a beisemeyer fence. the problem is the fence and rail would weigh more then the saw!
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Len
            Forum Newbie
            • Sep 2007
            • Cary, NC
            • BT3000

Originally posted by shoottx
            Welcome to the site! It is the greatest place in the world for BT3K information, and other stuff also.

The only other aftermarket offering I am aware of is the Jointech. It is very expensive but here is the info http://www.jointech.com/ryobi_sawtrain.htm
            Lordy! That fence costs more than my BT3K with all it's accessories. For that kind of money you could pick up a used Unisaw. Hmmm.....

Len

Comment

• Tomween1
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2008
              • Vermont
              • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks Ed. I now live in Williston. Started life in NYC till the age of 7. Then Colchester VT, till I was all growed up!
              Last edited by Tomween1; 10-02-2008, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Tomween1
                Forum Newbie
                • Oct 2008
                • Vermont
                • Ryobi BT3000

Mike, thak you and that site is great. Ya know it's funny, you look at the cost of that upgrade system and all things being equal, a BT3000 would probably be %600 - $700 (saw alone). Their setup wouldhave made this saw a $2,000 saw today!

Comment

• Tomween1
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Oct 2008
                  • Vermont
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Hank Thanks. Any photos of that H Jig?

Comment

• shoottx
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2008
                    • Plano, Texas
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by Tomween1
                    Mike, thak you and that site is great. Ya know it's funny, you look at the cost of that upgrade system and all things being equal, a BT3000 would probably be %600 - $700 (saw alone). Their setup wouldhave made this saw a $2,000 saw today!
                    Again welcome to the site! And thus the warning! For that amount of money I could buy a cabinet or hybrid saw with a different set of problems.
                    Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Tomween1
                      Hank Thanks. Any photos of that H Jig?
                      Sorry, I don't have a photo but it is easier to make than describe.

1. I cut a 2x2 down the the exact/precise width of the fence and cut it to the length of the aluminum section of the fence.
                      2. I cut 2 pieces of 3/4 plywood into 4 inch by 36 inches long.
                      3. I placed the 2X2 on top of the fence, placed the 36 inch strip on each side against the fence and glued and screwed it together. I made sure that the screws were about 1/4 inch recessed into the fence on both sides.
                      4. Upon screwing the sides onto it, I removed it from the fence and cleaned excess glue off.

In the end it looked like an "H" in which the bottom channel of the "H" slides over the fence.
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...