• Show
Clear All
  • seagypsy
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2007
    • Jacksonville, Florida
    • BT3000

Problem with Saw or Power Switch

I was ripping some spruce wood today(about 2 1/4 inches thick) with a 40 tooth blade, I know it's not the best for ripping but it's what I've got. Part way through the cut, the safety pawls jammed and the saw stalled. Getting the piece of spruce out of the way ,each time when I press the start button it will power down and stop when I release the start button. Sometimes I hear a click when the blade powers down. At first, I thought I had too many extension cords and a couple of fans on the same circuit( it's 98 degrees here today). Getting the saw down to my heavy-duty cord didn't help. I read in Loring's FAQ that the Power Switch on older models was a bad design(mine's from 1993). althou mine has a black "On" button, not green. Anybody have any other ideas that I should look at? Steve
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

If I understand you correctly when you push and hold the start button it will stay on, as soon as you release it shuts off?
    you need a new switch. There are no other circuit breakers, etc in the saw's system to shut it down.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• seagypsy
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2007
      • Jacksonville, Florida
      • BT3000

A new switch it is. Thanks Steve

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

You can unplug the saw motor from the switch on the BT's and just plug the motor straight to the cord or outlet long enough to test it... CAREFUL! The saw will start up on its own when you do (provided the motor is OK).

Comment

• WeekEndDad
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2003
          • Highland, Ca, USA.

I have a used switch....

My saw has died and I have been parting it out on EBay, but would sent you the switch for the cost of shipping. I'm here in So Cal. Or if you are local you can arrange to p/u.

Measure Twice, Cut Once!
          Then get more lumber!

WeekEndDad's Home Page
          Email WeekEndDad

Comment

• seagypsy
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2007
            • Jacksonville, Florida
            • BT3000

Weekend Dad Thanks for the offer. I've ordered one and its on its way. Local pickup would have been a bit of a problem as I'm in Jacksonville , Florida. Steve

Comment

Working...