• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

BTs in "America's Best Home Workshops"

The 2008 edition of "America's Best Home Workshops" from the publishers of WOOD Magazine is out, and I count no less than three Ryobi BT3x00 table saws within its pages. One is in the Gallery Of Projects section at the back of the book, and the others are in two of the 14 featured shops.

The shop shown on the cover is the largest in the magazine ... 1700 square feet, divided over two floors. The larger room on the main floor features a Delta Unisaw but in the smaller room upstairs, the owner has what appears to be a dead stock BT3000 that he apparently uses for smaller projects.

The second BT-equipped shop is at the other end of the size spectrum: an 8x12 backyard shed not unlike Pappy's Playpen. The owner of this one is a younger fellow who inherited his late uncle's woodworking tools and is now learning to use them. Prominent among the various tools pictured on the lawn just outside the open shed doors is a BT3100.

Finally, the aforementioned Gallery Of Projects sections shows what appears to be a BT3000 in a typical wide-table, extended-rail setup with a router mount in the extension wing. (The owner is identified as Orv Hale, of Escondido, CA ... anyone know if he's a member here?)

Pretty cool!
    Last edited by LarryG; 06-05-2008, 07:23 AM.
    Larry
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Yes, that is pretty cool! They really are the little saws that could... It's nice when somebody gives them some props.

Comment

• docrowan
      • Mar 2007
      • New Albany, MS
      • BT3100

I saw the same thing, but you beat me to the post.

Incidentally, I enjoyed this edition even more than the last one. The last edition featured much larger and more elaborate shops than I can ever hope to have. As a weekend warrior with a young family, I could see the shops in this edition being within my reach. I say this with all due respect to Tom Clark, a forum member here whose shop was featured in the last edition.

By the way, I wonder if they'll ever have a "World's Best Workshops" so they can include Rod Kirby.
      - Chris.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

I saw the first BT3 but haven't got to the others, yet.

To feature Rod's shop with all the dust control inovations and specialized storage would take an issue of itself!
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by LarryG
          The second BT-equipped shop is at the other end of the size spectrum: an 8x12 backyard shed not unlike Pappy's Playpen. The owner of this one is a younger fellow who inherited his late uncle's woodworking tools and is now learning to use them. Prominent among the various tools pictured on the lawn just outside the open shed doors is a BT3100.
          Sounds like someone took photos of my setup..

I always like seeing the smaller shops like sheds, garages and basements. A recent book I got from a book club thing was "Woodshop Lust: American Woodshops And The Men Who Love Them" it featured a bunch of smaller shops. Didn't see any BTs when I flipped through it.
          Last edited by pelligrini; 06-05-2008, 12:38 PM. Reason: Fixed URL
          Erik

Comment

• dstenson
            Forum Newbie
            • Apr 2008

I just picked this magazine up yesterday and noticed the BT3x pictures, says a lot about the saw. Not that we didn't already know this ourselves. I thought the magazine was great, highly recommend it to anyone.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

I will have to get a copy of the magazine. Sounds like a great article.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by docrowan
                By the way, I wonder if they'll ever have a "World's Best Workshops" so they can include Rod Kirby.
                I'm sure Rod will correct me if I'm wrong but a few years ago Wood did feature his shop in an article.
                Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...