• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eccentrictinkerer
    • Aug 2007
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • BT-3000, 21829

Bad news...Good news...Gloat!...Question

Last weekend I saw an ad for a BT3000 for $50 in Craigslist. The ad said that the saw was tired.

I'd like to build a Frankensaw for my shop. So off I went on Saturday to take a look at it. When I turned it on the motor turned slowly and made a lot of noise. I told him that it was worth $30, to me, for parts. He agreed and I started taking it apart.

The guy then said I mght as well take the rest of the stuff. Turns out there was (new in the box) an extended table kit, an extended table leg kit and a router fence adapter kit!

So I guess I got a good deal. When I got the saw back to the shop I took the belts off and the motor shaft turns but is very stiff. I suspect the bearing.

Anybody out there have an idea as to whether or not it might be worthwhile to try and replace the motor bearing?
    Last edited by eccentrictinkerer; 06-03-2008, 07:20 PM.
    You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
    of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...
  • wardprobst
    • Jan 2006
    • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
    • Craftsman 22811

Depends on what your time is worth. I've seen complete motors in Members Classified for $65. OTOH, if you have the time and tools, changing a bearing is not end of the world hard, check the archives.
    DP
    www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• jhart
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Good score!!
      Joe
      "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Popeye
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Woodbine, Ga
        • Grizzly 1023SL

I still have a lightly used motor I'd let go for a reasonable price if it comes down to that. Pat
        Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Jack Vines
          Handtools only
          • May 2008

Greetings, Popeye,

Please put me second in line for a lightly used motor at a reasonable price. If I can't find one soon, the BT3000 will have to go in this weekend's garage sale as a router table.

Comment

• Hoover
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • USA.

Here's a new one on EBay rather pricey!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ryobi-OEM-BT3000...742.m153.l1262
            No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Jack Vines
              Handtools only
              • May 2008

Hi, Hoover,

Thanks for the link. This is the standard eBay price - no deal there. Problem is, that also the high-end street price for a complete, working BT3k these days. Back before my motor died, there were two or three complete saws on craigslist in the $50 range but I didn't need one then and because they were 25-50 miles away.

thnx, jack vines

Comment

• pierhogunn
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2003
                • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

I have a burned out motor with a good bearing in it. want me to dig the bearing out and get it to you?

Dan
                It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Minneapolis, MN
                  • BT-3000, 21829

Originally posted by pierhogunn
                  I have a burned out motor with a good bearing in it. want me to dig the bearing out and get it to you?

Dan

Thanks, I appreciate the thought, but I'm going to take Popeye up on his offer.

Ain't this a great forum?!!
                  You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                  of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

Working...