• Show
Clear All
  • shoottx
    Veteran Member
    • May 2008
    • Plano, Texas
    • BT3000

BT 3K Problem

I am a new user on this site. I was delighted to find the site. The information available has been spectacular. Thanks to all that have taken the time to document and provide great information and instruction, I want to acknowledge “golfing”, Mark Stripes and Norm Fujino for their efforts.

My BT3000 was a gift from my wife many, many years ago. Because of work and other commitments I have not had much opportunity to use it, until recently. While working on several projects I could not get the fence or the sliding table aligned with the blade. So with a little time on my hands and the information on this site I decided it was time to find the problem. Thinking it was a shim problem, I disassembled the saw. I found a huge gouge in the face of the rear locker bracket. The set screw had worked loose punched a significant dent in the shim and then wore a divot face of the Locker bracket. (I will try and add the pictures.) My question is really now what. Should I replace the locker bracket or is there another solution?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have pictures but cant figure out how to load them
    Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

I would first try gently polishing the surface that is damaged so that it is smooth. ( you might even want to fill in the guages with jb weld Tm) Replace the shims. Be careful when you adjust the set screws so that they do not dimple the new shims. Apply LocktiteTm or fingernail polish to the set screws so that they will not move again.
    If that does not fix it you might be able to find used parts by watching for a member here parting out a saw. Last Resort would be to replace the shims and upgrade to BT3100 style parts.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• bigstick509
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Macomb, MI, USA.
      • BT3100

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Welcome! We would like to see you around regularly, so keep posting. Also, What Mark said is right on, IMO. Let us know how it turns out or if something else happens.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Welcome to the Asylum! Another Texan in the crowd.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• John Hunter
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
            • BT3000 & BT3100

Welcome aboard!
            John Hunter

Comment

• shoottx
              Veteran Member
              • May 2008
              • Plano, Texas
              • BT3000

Saw Repair

After the advice from this site (and a couple of metal working buddies) I used JB Weld and some farm yard body work to repair my saw. It seems to nave worked!

The saw moves up and down better than when it was new. And after a quick check the blade alignment was dead on and 32nd measure. I now have to re aliagn the fence and sliding table. That is the task for this weekend. I will add a report after everything is reset.

I want to thank “golfeng”, Mark Stripes and Norm Fujino for the information they took time to document. It made a the repair and reassembly go smoothly. I did add the use of a pipe clamp to encourage the bearing to seat enough to get the screws started.

Thanks again to all.

The information available has been spectacular. Thanks to all that have taken the time to document and provide great information and instruction,
              Attached Files
              Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

EXCELLENT Job! Excellent! We appreciate people with your ingenuity and fixit skills here.

Please join in the posting fun.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...