• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • docrowan
    • Mar 2007
    • New Albany, MS
    • BT3100

Frankensaw Question

I've been noodling on creating a Frankensaw similar to others on this forum. One question I have is what is the minimum rail length for a pair of BT3K's mounted side by side? By minimum, I mean that would include being able to mount the SMT to the left of the left hand saw.
    - Chris.
  • jgrobler
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Salinas, CA, USA.
    • TS3650

No replies yet? I don't have my BT3s anymore, but you should be able to measure it easily.

If you have two BT3s now, put them next to each other and the SMT in between, if you only have one, measure distance from left edge of the SMT, mounted to the left of the top, to the right edge of the top, and subtract the distance from the left edge of the top to the right edge of the top.

If you're willing to move the rails, you can likely get away with a single rail set too - for a minimum requirement.

Comment

• tropicaffair
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2003
      • Gloucester, MA, USA.

The Frankensaw I put together, temporarily about 2 years ago, I used a short pair of rails, maybe 20 inches long. The plywood base I set the 2 saws on was 42" wide. I have a width issue in my shop - I have set up a 28' office trailer so the max interior width is 7'-6". Hopefully the picture will give you some idea of the overall width. I'm on the road this week so I won't be back home to actually measure the assembly until the beginning of next week.
      Attached Files
      Russell

Comment

• rnelson0
        Established Member
        • Feb 2008
        • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
        • Firestorm FS2500TS

I have to ask, what is the point of this frankensaw? Just to get a large surface, or is there some need for two blades?

Comment

• tropicaffair
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2003
          • Gloucester, MA, USA.

The extra width is an obvious benefit and I keep my 6" dado stack in the right hand saw and my combination blade in the left. I have (since the picture) set up a router in the accessory table on the far right. The whole assembly can be swung out 90 degrees from the wall as in the picture. It actually stays in this position the majority of the time but I can swing it back along the wall when I need the space.
          Russell

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Most frankensaws are built so that the user can have a dedicated dado machine at the ready, without having to do a blade change. I know I've been known to avoid doing dados on my saw when there's only one or two, just because changing blades and throat plates is a PITA.

Comment

• docrowan
              • Mar 2007
              • New Albany, MS
              • BT3100

Russell,

Thanks for the photo. What you've built is exactly what I'm considering doing. It gives me an idea of the possibilities. So what is the total length of your rails?

All,

I should have explained in my first post I was on the road this week and did not have opportunity to measure my saw. I'm planning on doing exactly what Uncle Cracker described - set one saw up for dedicated dados. Like most here, shop time is hard to come by, and the less time spent fooling around with changing out blades, the better.

Thanks.
              - Chris.

Comment

• tropicaffair
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2003
                • Gloucester, MA, USA.

Chris,

Sorry for the delay, it's been one of those weeks. The total rail legth of my frankensaw is 62 inches. The plywood base that I mounted both saws to is 42" wide. Please bear in mind this is a temporary setup until I actually build a custom base cabinet. OK, temporary has been funtional for over 2 years now, but whose counting? (Me. I guess).
                Russell

Comment

Working...