• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

which dry lube

The time has come to give my BT3 a spring clean as I am about to start a couple of larger projects.

Which dry lube has worked for you.

If giving my saw an overhaul, other than checking all the setups and giving it a good wax down what internal items would you perform maintenance on?
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

I like the DuPont teflon spray in the blue can.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• steve-norrell
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • The Great Land - Alaska
      • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Tom Slick
      I like the DuPont teflon spray in the blue can.
      Same here.

Also, I rub candle wax on the slides for raising and lowering the blade, and I try to remember to do that each time I change the blade.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

I use Lock-eze a spray on graphite with a carrier that evaporates.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• JSUPreston
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Montgomery, AL.
          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I thought Pinewood Derby season was over....

(now running and ducking for cover)
          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Rip fence not square to table

Went and bought some of the DuPont Teflon spray. had the side panel off cleaned everything up lubed all the threads and everything is now nice and smoooooooth.

I have been checking my setup as well and the one thing that seems out is the rip fence is not square to the table went tightened. its fine when loose but the top moves towards the blade when I lock it. I guess as long as it remains parallel to the blade its OK but would be good to square it up.

Any ideas folks?
            Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Originally posted by poolhound
              I have been checking my setup as well and the one thing that seems out is the rip fence is not square to the table went tightened. its fine when loose but the top moves towards the blade when I lock it. I guess as long as it remains parallel to the blade its OK but would be good to square it up.

Any ideas folks?
              Check out Loring's FAQ for info on this. You can PM him (lchien) through this site with your e-mail addy, and he'll send it to you.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by poolhound
                Went and bought some of the DuPont Teflon spray. had the side panel off cleaned everything up lubed all the threads and everything is now nice and smoooooooth.

Any ideas folks?
                I'm not sure what you are saying. The rip fence has a three stage action (sometimes.. usually explained as a two stage). First stage it squares up the fence, then clamps the front rail, and lastly clamps the rear rail. So some squaring up is normal. Unless you mean that the fence cants towards the blade. That could be caused by several factors including over locking the fence, wax or oil on rails, or poorly adjusted glides in the front block. There may be other causes that I'm not remembering.
                Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

Thanks.

It was actually some wax on the rails that caused the fence to ride up as it was clamped. I was a little to liberal as I lubed and waxed down the table.

Cleaned the rails with mineral spirits and its now nicely square (perpendicular) to the table surface.

I had everything stripped down today in prep for some new projects. I have been tuning it up and resetting everything. most adjustments needed tweaking. Amazingly the SMT table remains perfect only about 1/2 thou' out front to back.

The runout (checked blade about 1/2" out from the outside washer) only about .007.

My only issue now is squaring the fence to the blade. I could have sworn the last time I did this I got it square. Now its toed in at the back -NO GOOD- and I cant seem to get it SQ let alone toed out. I guess I may have to drill out the adjustment holes.

Any other clever options?
                  Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Working...