• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

dual miter slot table setup?

I finally got around to getting the dual miter slots for my 3100. It comes with 4 shims and the instructions say to install them to raise the table and that it should be just less than level than the main table. Even with 2 shims at each end it is still quite a way (1/16 to 3/32s) under the main table and also slightly lower at the back.

Does this matter shouldnet it be virtually level with the main table?

What has everybody else done with their install and shims?

Also do you need to align it with the blade and how do you do this there doesnt appear to be any adjustment other than some slight play in the mounting screws.

Thanks in advance

Jon
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

Here is a third party installation kit that works very well. I have used it, as have others who use this site.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RIGHT-MITER-TABL...QQcmdZViewItem

As I recall, detailed alignment instructions are included in the kit or you can find them at his site.

I believe the vendor is a member and my dealings with him have always been excellent.

Good luck, Steve

Comment

• mpauly
      Established Member
      • Apr 2006
      • NJ

That kit is for mounting the table on the right side of the blade. I think the OP is looking to mount in the existing tabs on the left side. I used both shims and I'm still very slightly below the height of the main table. My miter gauge rubs ever so slightly on the main table, but I don't think it's worth worrying about. If you're a 1/32 lower, you'll not only get rubbing, but your miter gauge will not sit level. I'd add some additional shims to raise the height. Anything that won't compress will work really. Try thin washers or cut up some soda cans into small squares and stack them......lots of options.

All that said, I'm really happy having a normal miter slot. I know I'm in the minority, but I just never really liked the sliding table and link my incra v27 much better.

Michael

Comment

• steve-norrell
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • BT3100-1

Although sold as a "right miter table kit" it includes hardware and instructions for the left side as well. As per the ad:

"What It Does
        It mounts a miter table on the right side of the main saw table whether using just one or using two miter tables.
        This kit contains additional stainless steel hardware for securely mounting the left side miter table as well."

I have purchased the kit and used it before I built and installed my own miter table. The ONLY problem I had with the Ryobi table was that the slots were not true t-slots and the miter gauge (INCRA 1000SE) tended to tip out.

Also, you can use 'slick tape', made from UHMW, as alternate and/or additional shims.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• mpauly
          Established Member
          • Apr 2006
          • NJ

Steve, yes I saw that, just seemed like $25 shipped seemed a little steep for what he's looking for (basically some shims).

Now this slick tape you speak of, sounds like it could have lots of uses if it's really is UHMW. Is that something that can be found in one of the big box stores? I also agree about the miter gauge tipping out, but the v27 is pretty small and hasn't really been a problem for me yet.

I've been really happy with the BT3100 for over a year and a half now, but in the end it has a long list of compromises. As my skills have gotten better and my projects a little more complex, I'm starting to want for something bigger and better.

Michael

Comment

• steve-norrell
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • BT3100-1

Originally posted by mpauly
            Steve, yes I saw that, just seemed like $25 shipped seemed a little steep for what he's looking for (basically some shims).

Now this slick tape you speak of, sounds like it could have lots of uses if it's really is UHMW. Is that something that can be found in one of the big box stores? I also agree about the miter gauge tipping out, but the v27 is pretty small and hasn't really been a problem for me yet.

Michael
            Michael,

I agree that you can easily duplicate the parts in the Kit mentioned above, but I have to add that the vendor has put together an excellent product with very high quality parts. Then, there is the convenience of getting everything you need in one package.

I have not seen the 'slick tape' in any local stores, but I can't say that I have really looked. I usually order mine
            from either Rockler
            http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...r=slick%20tape

or Woodcraft
            http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=902

The Woodcraft product is UHMW and noticeably thicker than the tape from Rockler and is sold as useful on the underside of jigs, miter gauges, etc. Rockler's product is nylon and is sold as useful as drawer slider material.

I have used both and found them to be quite useful when used for their intended purposes. IMHO, the Woodcraft product is better for shim material, but having the thinner Rockler product would allow better tuning of the shim thickness (using either or both, as needed).

The INCRA miter gauge is one of the best accessories I have purchased for the BT3100 -- its right up there with the Shark Guard. I do use the SMT (without the gauge) as a extendable support for wider and longer stock.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• rcp612
              Established Member
              • May 2005
              • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
              • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by mpauly
              I'd add some additional shims to raise the height. Anything that won't compress will work really. Try thin washers or cut up some soda cans into small squares and stack them......lots of options.
              Michael
              I cut pieces of credit cards (my wife's of course) and they work perfectly AND they saved me some money.
              Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• Greg.B
                Established Member
                • Feb 2006
                • Joppa, Maryland
                • Ryobi BT3100

Someone once suggested cut strips of soda/beer can for shims.

As for right side mount, that is what I have, and I used a board with dados cut to fit over the front and back of the saw body. Cost no more than $2 for my setup and it looks factory as you can't really see anything.
                Former Member Name - JohnnyTest

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by Greg.B
                  Someone once suggested cut strips of soda/beer can for shims.

As for right side mount, that is what I have, and I used a board with dados cut to fit over the front and back of the saw body. Cost no more than $2 for my setup and it looks factory as you can't really see anything.
                  Greg, do you have any photos of your setup, I cant quite picture what you mean.

J
                  Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                  techzibits.com

Comment

Working...