• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

"No Measure" Miter Settings

Here is an update to my "No Measure" method of adjusting the BT3XXX. This is a fast and accurate way to set the miter fence. It will work on old fashioned table saws that have miter slots, too.

PROBLEM:
    Assuming that the saw is not grossly out of alignment, a workpiece is cut only at the leading edge of the saw blade. Even if the blade is not parallel to the rip fence, Sliding Miter Table base, or miter slot, the saw will still make a straight cut that is parallel to the rip fence or to the SMT base / miter slot.

Therefore, setting a reference (drafting triangle, sliding T-bevel, set-up wedge, etc.) against the blade to adjust the miter fence may not produce the perfect miter. Plus, you have to contend with hitting or missing the teeth with the reference. The angle markings on the gauge are only good for ballpark settings.

SOLUTION:
    Set the reference against a single fixed point.
    Here's how it looks:

1) Insert a nail into a tight-fit hole in the throat plate.

2) Set the reference against the miter fence and the nail. Move the SMT or miter gauge back and forth, and adjust the miter fence until the reference touches the nail continuously.

3) Angles on the other side of 0 can be set using a 90 deg triangle plus the reference, or by setting the reference on the back side of the miter fence.

4) I like the 5-cut method for setting the 0-deg stop on the miter fence, but a drafting triangle can be used.

I'm open for your comments and suggestions.

Thanks for looking,

- Lonnie
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

Looks worth giving it a shot, Lonnie. Don't have much to lose in trying!
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...