X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Cole
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2007

Zero Clearance plate

I tried to make a Zero Clearance throat plate for my saw..I used masonite 1/8th. That sucker vibrated way to much. Any ideas on what to use or where to buy?
    Thanks for the support. I will wear it well.
    George
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

1/8" seems awfully thin to me. I would use at least 1/4" Masonite/tempered hardboard. If that is too thick, I would rout out recesses in those "high points" on the underside.

I have not made a ZC for myself yet, but I have the Ryobi ones that I just have to setup and cut the slot. Sears still sells them for their version of the BT.

I assume you are bolting them down?
    Joe

Comment

• George Cole
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2007

Thanks Joe,
      Yes I screwed it down. The 1/8th is the thickness when resting on the mounting flange. You say Ryobi made the zero clearance plate? There is a guy in Leo, Indiana that sells a s**t load of Ryobi stuff on E-Bay. I think I might have to give him a try.
      Thanks,
      George

Comment

• steve-norrell
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • The Great Land - Alaska
        • BT3100-1

T-Nuts offers ZCTP blanks that are machined so they can be dropped in place. All you have to do is cut the kerf for the blade.

http://t-nuts.com/product_info.php?c...roducts_id=224

I have used a couple of these and found them to be excellent and superior to the Ryobi plates.

I now make my own out of 1/2 inch Sanatec or UHMW plastic. Others have made them out of baltic birch, corion, and various outer material and all report excellent results.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• cwithboat
          • Jan 2008
          • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
          • Craftsman Pro 21829

T-nuts.com has a new design using a four hole pattern that I just received. They are an improvement over the three hole design and an excellent fit.
          regards,
          Charlie
          A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
          Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• George Cole
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2007

Thanks guys, I am off to "T" Nuts..The Indiana guys has the Ryobi plates in stock for about $12.00 in US funds but you say the "T" nut folks are better so there I go.

Thanks,
            George

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I make mine out of 3/8 thick flooring. I prefer laminated pre-finished (left over from my basement living area) but have also used 3/8 unfinished and 3/8 thick pieces cut from 2x4s. I use 3/8 thick because that is about what you need if you screw to the four holes that the stock plate does not use. I needed to chase the threads with a tap but once that was done, they work well. I rabbet the outer edge, drill the holes, and use the plate. Sometimes I relieve the area where the blade washers will hit the underside to get a little more depth of cut. I also sometimes open up the back part of the blade opening to get a little more DC suction to reduce dust on top of the saw.

Try a piece of scrap 3/8 thick (or a little less). I think you will like the result. It is sturdy enough you can just raise the blade through it. 1/8 is about what you need around the edges but that is too thin for a wooden zero clearance plate. You could also try glueing a 1/4 plywood piece to the bottom of a 1/8 thick piece to eliminate the rabbeting.

Jim

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

Originally posted by JimD
                I make mine out of 3/8 thick flooring. I prefer laminated pre-finished (left over from my basement living area) but have also used 3/8 unfinished and 3/8 thick pieces cut from 2x4s. I use 3/8 thick because that is about what you need if you screw to the four holes that the stock plate does not use. I needed to chase the threads with a tap but once that was done, they work well. I rabbet the outer edge, drill the holes, and use the plate. Sometimes I relieve the area where the blade washers will hit the underside to get a little more depth of cut. I also sometimes open up the back part of the blade opening to get a little more DC suction to reduce dust on top of the saw.

Try a piece of scrap 3/8 thick (or a little less). I think you will like the result. It is sturdy enough you can just raise the blade through it. 1/8 is about what you need around the edges but that is too thin for a wooden zero clearance plate. You could also try glueing a 1/4 plywood piece to the bottom of a 1/8 thick piece to eliminate the rabbeting.

Jim
                Jim,

I have been considering making my own. Do you also cut a slot for the riving knife and guard or dont you use these?

Jon
                Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                techzibits.com

Comment

• Schleeper
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2008

Jon,

I made mine the same way Jim did, out of leftover laminate flooring. Then I cut the slot in the back for the riving knife using my sliding miter saw.

If you use laminate flooring, just don't cut the kerf using your best blade. Yes, I know; that kind of defeats the purpose of the ZCTP. Unfortunately, the hard finish on the laminate eats carbide tips for lunch! (My WWII is out being sharpened for that very reason.)
                  "I know it when I see it." (Justice Potter Stewart)

Comment

• drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

I used a Ryobi one that came with the accessory kit for a while. Didn't really care for it, very flimsy plastic. I make my own now that I have thicknessing tools, and I find them to be much better. I'd say use either UHMW or wood that will take wax nicely. I've been using wood and paste wax it. I always cut out for the knife, after I cut the blade slot, I just extend lines toward the back, and cut it out on the scroll saw. It doesn't have to be perfect behind where the blade can go.

I do this for both my Dad's BT and my PM2000. He'd never use a ZCTP if it were up to him to make them. ;-)
                    Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

Comment

• JimD
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Lexington, SC.

I raise the blade through the ZCTP with the splitter removed then I cut a slot for the splitter in line with the blade slot. It takes a couple minutes. Sometimes I use a router bit on the router table to make the back part of the slot and make it oversized. I think it reduces the sawdust on the top if you get a bit more air going to the DC. I try to make the slot wider on the left side, not the right, because of the way the dust chute for the BT3100 is shaped. The back half of the slot in the throat plate is not important relative to the quality of the cut.

The best way, I think, is to route the back part which lets you install the splitter the first time and also gives you less to cut through with the blade. I make oversized slots 1/4 or sometimes 3/8 wide.

Jim

Comment

• steve-norrell
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • The Great Land - Alaska
                        • BT3100-1

Here is an example of a 'home-made' ZCTP made of clear polycarbonate. They are relatively easy to make and these were machined using a 1/4 inch straight router bit, using a T-Nuts ZCTP as a template.

I have also made them from UHMW as well as polycarb. I find I prefer the white UHMW or Sanatech, although I don't know why (probably just an idiosyncratic weirdness).

Regards, Steve
                        Last edited by steve-norrell; 11-30-2008, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Working...