Clear All
  • aiyou
    SawdustZone Patron
    • Mar 2006
    • Charlotte, NC
    • BT3100

Incra V27 and Dual Miter Slot Table

Hello.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any issues with the V27 miter gauge when used with the dual miter slot table.

I picked up a V27 ealier today. However, when attempting to slide it from front to back, the miter bar binds (for lack of a better term) at the end of the miter bar above the small adjustment wing knob. "Binds" may even a bit understated - wedged is more like it, as if the bar is

Issue has been encountered with both slots, when pushed front-to-back, as well as back-to-front. I've even tried a second DMST, with the same results.

Is this a known incompatibility? Or, might I have an issue with the manufacturing tolerances of the V27 miter bar?

I've adjusted the three adjustment wheels, and the miter bar slides well up until this last 1/4" or so.

The digital caliper reads .753" at the front of the bar, and .756" at the point of binding. Same calipers read the miter slot width at .755", which would logically lead to the resistance being encountered.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    Rob
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

I have a V27, and two dual miter units (4 slots total), and I do not have any binding problems. If your caliper is accurate, however, then there is a discrepancy between the bar width you are measuring and what I am getting on mine with my digital calipers. You say your Incra bar measures 0.753-0.756", whereas my bar measures only 0.742-0.743" along its entire length.

If I were in your situation, with a width measurement exceeding 0.750", I would first confirm that measurement with another caliper, and if confirmed, I would return the Incra unit either to the place you bought it, or take the matter up directly with Incra. Here is the web page link with all their contacts.

Comment

• gary
      • May 2004
      • Versailles, KY, USA.

I suspect you'll find out that the aluminum in the Miter Slots is too soft. The incra miter bar is made of harder stuff and will score the sides of the bt3 miter channel. I found this using the incra miter bars on a sled with my BT3.

The only way I've found this to work at all is to use tons of wax in the slots and it'll still gouge the slots up.
      Gary

Comment

• pecker
        Established Member
        • Jun 2003

FWIW, I have a more expensive Incra miter gauge, with the same adjustment scheme. Using it on my Ridgid cast iron saw, it binds at either end of the miter slot, when adjusted for a perfect fit near the center of the miter slot.

The fault is in the lack of precision of the machining of the slot...not the miter bar. I would imagine your $25 aluminum miter slot is no more precise from one end to the other. I ended up adjusting mine for a slightly loose fit so that it won't get stuck at the end of it's travel. Annoying, but still gives near perfect crosscuts.

Comment

• rcp612
          Established Member
          • May 2005
          • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
          • Bosch 4100-09

I have the V27 too and it does not slide in the far left slot and, is perfect in the right slot. It didn't even need adjustment in the right slot and fits very tight but not tight enough to prevent easy use.
          Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• lebomike
            Established Member
            • Jan 2008
            • Pennsylvania
            • Ryobi BT3000

I also have the V27
            and it binds for me. I have tried adjusting it many times with the nylon washers and the small allen wrnch. No success. If I get them lose the miter is not accurate.
            Hope someone comes up with a remedy.
            Last edited by lebomike; 01-21-2008, 11:08 AM.
            "The power of kindness is immense. It is nothing less, really, than the power to change the world."

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

I don't have a DSMT nor a V23, but I did make my own table from some incra slots. When test fitting my stock 21829 miter slid fine as well as my tennon jig, but when I finally had it all bolted down they would get stuck right at the end. I found that if I didn't torque the rear fastener for the miter table down as tight as I had it everything would slide fine in the slot. I believe the way the slot cantilevered out over the supporting edge and when the fastener was over tightened it warped the slot. This might be the problem in your case too.

Komatoast used to sell a right side mounting kit. It also came with some different fasteners for the left side. http://bt3000.com/Left-Miter-Install/
              Erik

Comment

• steve-norrell
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • The Great Land - Alaska
                • BT3100-1

I have the INCRA 1000SE miter fence, which, I believe, uses the same miter bar as the V27. I have used it in both the DSMT and a home-made table with INCRA miter tracks. I don't recall any problem with the DSMT, except as noted below. If it were me, I would just return the DSMT rather making an effort to widen the tracks, perhaps with emery cloth, or "forcing" the issue with wax and pressure.

The "problem" I did encounter with the DSMT is that the miter fence tended to tip out when pulled past the edge of the table -- hence the shop-made one with INCRA tracks (which are true "T-type" tracks. And, its really not a problem, just a convenience issue with me.

Regards, Steve

Added Sorry! Looks like I misread the post. Its the bar on the V27 that varies in thickness and not the DMST. In that case, I would also return the V27. Again, sorry for the misread. SN
                Last edited by steve-norrell; 01-21-2008, 05:17 PM. Reason: Added note, error correction.

Comment

• aiyou
                  SawdustZone Patron
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Charlotte, NC
                  • BT3100

Thanks all for the quick responses.

I think at this point, I'll attempt to exchange the V27 first, and take the spare DMST with me for testing purposes.

The spare DMST is not mounted to the saw, but encounters the same issue as the one on the saw - so, in theory, I would guess that this should rule out any twisting associated with mounting.

I've also tried 'dropping' the V27 miter bar into the middle of the slot, and it also encounters resistance at the same point of the bar. So, this would lead me to believe that the DMST track is fairly consistent in its width along the length.

But, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has encountered issues.

With that said, I REALLY like this product - easy to adjust and based on other reviews, very accurate. So, worse case scenario, maybe I go the route of trying to make my own miter table attachments.

Rob

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

IIRC, there are 4 nylon adjustment spacers on the bar. The one that's closest to the end near the protractor head is only accessible if you remove the protractor....have you adjusted all of those spacers? My V27 glides in both my miter slots and has neglible slop .... with the flick of a thumb I can launch it to the back of my 27" deep saw.
                    Last edited by Knottscott; 01-21-2008, 06:35 PM.
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• eezlock
                      • Feb 2006
                      • Charlotte,N.C.
                      • BT3100

incra v27 and dual miter slots

I have the same set up as Uncle Cracker on my saw....never any problems with mine. Did you adjust the (4) discs on the miter bar according to the directions that came with the miter gauge? If not sure...re-read the directions and do them again....might make a big difference in how well
                      the miter guage works in the slot. eezlock

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

I might even suggest that you take the nylon washers off completely, just to see if they're any part of the problem. If you still get metal-on-metal binding, that >0.750 reading you're getting on the bar would be troubling to me.

Comment

• aiyou
                          SawdustZone Patron
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Charlotte, NC
                          • BT3100

Thanks all!

Problem solved by exchanging the v27 at local Woodcraft. Took second, loose DMST with me, and replacement one worked without issue, right out of the package.

But, I will admit, that i overlooked the 4th adjustment disc. But, the binding occurred well past this point, and i was not able to duplicate on the replacement v27.

Once aligned, worked like a charm...should have had one long ago

Comment

Working...