Why did you switch from a BT3000/BT3100/21829? Any Regrets?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonmnelson
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2007
    • Long Beach, CA
    • Craftsman 21829/Jet 708100 (don't ask)

Why did you switch from a BT3000/BT3100/21829? Any Regrets?

This is the flip-side question to an earlier post of mine.

With this family of saws having such a passionate following, I'm wondering what factors motivated people to switch from the BT300/BT3100/21829 to another table saw? Was it not being able to do something on the BT family of saws that you can do on a larger (or smaller) saw? Was it the lack of miter slots, or wanting more power and/or a larger table surface? Or maybe the call of a new tool was just too much to resist? More importantly, does anyone who switched have any regrets?

Thanks. I'm looking forward to your responses.
  • glenx

why did you switch...

i have had a bt3000 now for over 10 years and am in the process of giving it to a friend of mine. i have had no complaints about the saw other than minor items which ryobi took care of in a very rapid way and at no cost to me.
    i am buying a different saw now but have not yet decided on which make to buy, probably either a king, general or delta..depends which one i can get the best deal on!!

up til now, the 3000 has met all my needs but as i am now becoming more adept at woodworking it has certain drawbacks such as no miter slot, not enough power and really i guess i am tired of the same saw and want a new tool for my shop!!!(don't we all?!)

I will however continue to keep in touch with the ryobi site as I have one of their routers which i am very pleased with.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I switched . . . rather sold my a unisaw, later bought a BT which cut better over a long period of time without any needed adjustments - as it held its fence and SMT settings much better. No regrets when you don't do anything to regret!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• eezlock
        • Feb 2006
        • Charlotte,N.C.
        • BT3100

why did you switch from a Bt3000/Bt 3100/21829? any regrets?

I haven't completely switched from my Bt 3100 as yet....I do have another saw set up in the shop along with my Bt3100 being the primary saw at this time. I did buy and older model cast iron top contractor saw with a induction
        motor that really has more hp. I'm planning on using it to do more dedicated things...like dado cuts and ripping heavier stock. I was ripping some red oak
        2" stock the other day and bogged the BT down and tripped the power outlet
        breaker. That alone, started me wondering if the motor on the saw would continue to hold up to this type of work for the foreseeable future.
        If the Bt motor burns out....I guess that I'll strip it down and sell off the parts and continue on with the other saw I now have. I still like the BT saw...but I don't relish the idea of it burning up on me during a project
        and when I need it the most! eezlock

Comment

• Scottydont
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Edmonds, WA, USA.
          • Delta Industrial Hybrid

When I bought my BT it met my needs because of my budget and the level of versatility it offered. I wanted a more power and a bigger work surface so I upgraded to a Delta Hybrid with a Biesemeyer fence and a Incra 2000 miter gauge. The only part I really miss is the SMT. I'll say it again, the BT is hands down the best value for the money for a contractor style saw. No regrets.
          Scott
          "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• Luckbox
            Established Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Holly Springs, NC

I had the Bt3100 for 4 years and was very happy with it. It did nearly everything I wanted, but I have just recently switched to the Ridged TS3650, mainly because a got a good deal on a rarely used one in excellent condition. So recently I am yet to use the new saw. I really wanted the bigger work surface, more power and a heaver saw. With the Bt31000 there were a few time with hared wood that the saw really struggled and then being so light at times it seemed to move a bit with large or heavy stock, but I would say for 90% of what I did it was perfect.
            I love lamp.

Comment

• pecker
              Established Member
              • Jun 2003

I was tired of having 3 individual surfaces that were neither flat nor co-planar. It did affect some things I make that require a lot of precision. My BT3000 also just seemed to be wearing out, at least the parts that needed to be moved and tightened regularly.

However....after buying a Ridgid TS3650 and using it awhile, I made some extra space in the shop to keep the old BT. The wide crosscut capability makes it useful at times. And having the ability to set up 2 saws with different blades can come in handy.

The low resale value made it hard to part with, also.

Comment

• Powercat80
                Forum Newbie
                • Sep 2007
                • Austin, TX

In transition

I have had a BT3000 for 10 years now. It has been a great saw. I've remodeled two houses with it and a Delta CMS. I just recently got a good deal on a Unisaw. I have not decided whether to keep the BT3 or part with it. I have always enjoyed the versatility and mobility. My only concerns have already been posted. Sometimes underpowered for large/hard stock and can move with too much pressure. However you have to admire the design/enginering element of the BT3 when you consider all the things that it can do.

Comment

• bthere
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Alpharetta, GA

I have been using the EZ Smart system more and more over the past couple of years for panel work. I think it is safer, is easier to work with for panels, and gives me great cuts.

When my 3100 bit the dust, I found a great deal on a 21829. I love the mobility and space savings available with the saw. It is used now mostly for ripping. I have come close a few times to going with a cabinet saw, mostly for the extra power and because I am a toolaholic, but not from a real need.

Comment

• jonmnelson
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Oct 2007
                    • Long Beach, CA
                    • Craftsman 21829/Jet 708100 (don't ask)

Originally posted by bthere
                    I have been using the EZ Smart system more and more over the past couple of years for panel work. I think it is safer, is easier to work with for panels, and gives me great cuts.

When my 3100 bit the dust, I found a great deal on a 21829. I love the mobility and space savings available with the saw. It is used now mostly for ripping. I have come close a few times to going with a cabinet saw, mostly for the extra power and because I am a toolaholic, but not from a real need.
                    From several of the comments it seems the decision to switch (I won't say "upgrade") to another saw is more a case of want vs. need. I know that's something I'm struggling with myself. My 21829 has done everything I've needed it to do so far, but there's still that nagging sense that it's going to let me down as I (hopefully) become more proficient and take on bigger projects in the future. I don't know that that will ever happen, but I can't help feeling the larger, more powerful saw is the "safer" choice.

Comment

• JetDoc
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Douglasville, Georgia, USA.
                      • Delta Unisaw 36-L31X-BC50

I too changed saws for more wants than needs.

My BT3K served me well for 5 years. Then I started having problems with the shims. I was about to order repair parts when I found a sweet deal on a Unisaw. $1k for the unisaw with the bessy 52" fence system and table. I joked with my wife about how sweet a deal it was. When she said go for it, I couldn't say no.

What do I prefer about the unisaw. The larger table and fence are really nice when cutting down full sheets. The extra power is nice. I cut some 12/4 hard maple recently and it didn't slow a bit. The flat table with standard miter slots are nice to have again. Granted they can eaisly be added to the BT3 but they should be standard equipment.

The SMT is the one thing I miss most. Also I miss the mobility of the BT3K. If I needed space I just rolled it out of the way. I got to play with a unisaw on a mobile base before I bought mine. Yes it is mobile but it is big. I decided to skip the mobile base and leave my stationary.

The dust collection on the BT3 is by far the best I've seen.

As others have said, for the money you can't beat a BT3 series saw.
                      JetDoc

Douglasville,GA

Comment

• MBG
                        • Apr 2003
                        • Chicago, Illinois.
                        • Craftsman 21829

I bought my first TS, a BT3000, about 25 years ago. I later bought a BT3100. Actually, I bought 3-BT3100's and parted one out and kept the second one for spare parts for myself. I started using the BT more when I built it into a cabinet:

When my kids started getting older so I had more time to spend in the shop/garage. I started to work on bigger and more complex projects. Then I was one of the lucky ones that caught a Craftsman 22124 hybrid saw for under $500:

I liked the Biese fence and large cast top so much I only had this saw for a year before I found a great deal on a Uni X5. I used some funds from a patent award to justify the upgrade:

Things I like about my Unisaw:

1) Power.
                        2) Quieter.
                        3) LARGER cast iron table.
                        4) Biesemeyer fence.
                        5) Smoothness of blade height/bevel adjustment.
                        6) Can use dial-a width dado set.
                        7) Table top can be adjusted to blade/arbor.

Things I don't like about my Unisaw:

1) No SMT - I bought an Incra Miter Express.
                        2) At first the cast iron table - I hated getting scratches in it. The BT has the grooved/coated aluminum top.
                        3) No riving knife.

Mike

Comment

• RHunter
                          Established Member
                          • Mar 2004
                          • Mechanicsville, VA, USA.
                          • BT3100

I had my BT3100 for over a year and used it quite a bit as a hobbyist. I burned the motor up while ripping some rough lumber (Red Oak...of course).

A replacement motor would have cost almost as much as a new BT3100- which I would have bought- had Ryobi not stopped making them and selling them at the BORG. Curses for not purchasing an extra one when they were clearencing them out!!!

So I saved my Rubles and bought a 3HP Steel City Hybrid- and haven't looked back. Well, maybe I look when I keep thinking to myself that I need to make a miter sled... oh that SMT was NICE feature!!!!

And the Shark I had, well, the Shark for my hybrid is backordered about 8 weeks- I've been waiting for Lee to work down the backlog before I order a replacement. The Dust Collection and guard on my SC is the pits!!!
                          Last edited by RHunter; 11-28-2007, 08:18 PM.
                          "You should give blood on a regular basis.."
                          "Why I do of course, I'm a woodworker..."

Comment

Working...