• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

No-Measure Alignment - 2007

Some of you have asked for my “No-Measure” method of aligning the BT3K. Links to the posts on the Ryobi forum and on BT3Central are broken. This is a modified copy of my original post.

"Everyone has his favorite way of tuning up the BT3.

I've been using this method of aligning the rip fence and SMT on my BT3000 for years. I recognized from the first that the saw could not be tuned up accurately using a bent framing square and a grease pencil. I believe this is about the most accurate way to align the BT3x00. And it's a fast way to double-check alignment before starting a project."

- Lonnie

===

ALIGNMENT GAUGE

Make a simple alignment gauge out of 1-by stock, a nail, and two common magnets (not rare earth mags - too strong). Measurements and materials do not need to be exact. Make it wider if you have miter slots installed.

A .pdf diagram is attached to this post.

This is the alignment gauge I made in 1996 when I bought the saw. It's banged up and splattered with paint, but it works, so I have no reason to make a new "pretty" one.

Set the blade to 90 degrees before adjusting the SMT and rip fence.

FIND THE HIGH SPOT ON THE BLADE

You can reduce error caused by wobble/run-out in the blade by placing the nail point of the alignment gauge against the side of the blade and rotating the blade slowly by hand to find the high and low spots. Mark them.

Rotate the blade so the high point is at the top when you use the alignment gauge. Then rotate the blade so the high point is at the bottom and check alignment again. Use the average if necessary.

Rotate the blade so the high point is at the front or rear when you adjust the blade to 90deg or 45deg to the table.

ADJUST THE BLADE TO 90 DEGREES AND 45 DEGREES

Raise the blade up almost all the way. Rotate it so the high spot is toward the front or the back of the table.

Lay a drafting triangle on the saw table with the 90-degree corner and one edge against the rip fence. Stand another triangle up vertically with one edge against the first triangle and another edge against the blade. This will insure the vertical triangle is perpendicular to the blade.

Check for gaps at the blade and adjust the blade stops and indicator as needed. You may need to remark the 45 degree line when the 0 degree mark is true, or vice versa.

Use the same blade position (high spot toward front or rear of table) if you use a machinists square to set the 90deg and 45deg stops.

RIP FENCE ALIGNMENT

Raise the blade up almost all the way. Rotate the blade so the high point is at the top. Lay the alignment gauge on the table with the magnets against the right side of the blade. Move the fence very near the nail and lock it.

Flip the board so the nail is near the other end of the fence. The gap should be equal. Adjust the fence as needed.

The extended arm of the gauge magnifies the alignment over two times. An error of 1/64" at the tip of the nail is actually less than 1/128" at the blade.

You can use a feeler gauge to get the fence aligned perfectly. Before you get close enough to use the feeler gauge, press the nail into the fence so one of the magnets releases from the blade. It will sound like a code key. You can tell by the feel and the sound when you are close to alignment.

SMT BASE ALIGNMENT

Raise the blade up almost all the way. Rotate the blade so the high point is at the top. Lay the alignment gauge on the saw table with the magnets against the left side of the blade.

Place an object that has a vertical corner and weighs 3 or 4 oz. on the SMT. I use an aluminum cube about 2" X 2" X 1". For this discussion, I'll call the object a "cube." Set the cube about 4" from the outfeed edge of the SMT and positioned diagonally so a vertical corner points toward the blade. Move the SMT so that the vertical corner brushes against the nail on the alignment gauge. The corner of the cube will now be exactly in line with the tip of the nail.

Flip the alignment gauge and slide the SMT and cube the other direction past the nail. The gap at this end should be equal to the gap at the other end. Adjust the SMT Base as needed.

(Although it looks like it is, the alignment gauge is not resting on the SMT.)

SLIDING MITER TABLE AND MITER FENCE ALIGNMENT

I have revised my original method of setting the miter fence to 0-deg (90deg to the blade). The “Five-Cut” method that Phil Bumbalough describes on his “Bench Mark” web site is perfect. Here is the link …

Make large adjustments by repositioning the SMT on the SMT Base. Fine tune to 0-deg with the cam on the quick stop, as Phil describes.

===

The whole process takes forever to describe, but only a couple of minutes to execute.

Let’s hope that we can keep our BT3K’s running true for a long time.

- Lonnie
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lonnie in Orlando; 02-10-2013, 01:22 PM. Reason: Removed broken link to 5-cut pic on Bumbalough's site
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
  • dkerfoot
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Holland, Michigan
    • Craftsman 21829

Thanks Lonnie - Very helpful!
    Doug Kerfoot
    "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
    KeyLlama.com

Comment

• kirkroy
      Established Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Brunswick, MD

Thanks! I'm just now screwing around with my first learning project so the timing is perfect (well, a couple days later than I'd have liked but pretty good... ).

Comment

• jhart
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Saw this jig a few years ago when it was posted, works wonderful. Thanks for posting it again Lonnie.
        Joe
        "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
          • Dec 2006
          • hagerstown, md

Cheers mate.

I suggest a sticky for this
          パトリック
          daiku woodworking
          ^deshi^
          neoshed

Comment

• spelljammer
            Forum Newbie
            • Jun 2012
            • Martinsville, Indiana
            • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks a heap! Can't wait to try it! -Mark

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

One of the few times where it makes sense to resurrect a thread from the archives. Lonnie in Orlando you can edit the OP by the way to fix the broken link or forbidden inline redirect.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
                • May 2003
                • Orlando, FL, USA.
                • BT3000

> Mark -
                Thanks for the compliment. I removed the broken link. It was a picture from Phil Bumbalough's website showing the setup of the 5-cut process for adjusting the miter fence on a BT3K to 90deg. Same pic is shown in the link to the full description on his site.

> spelljammer -
                I hope it works for you as easily and as well as it works for me.

- Lonnie
                OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• Captain Hook
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2013
                  • Fulshear Texas
                  • Ryobi BT 3000

Great tool, thanks. Waiting for the epoxy on the magnets to dry while I'm typing. Looking forward to some straighter cuts.

Comment

Working...