• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jerrbitt
    Handtools only
    • Apr 2003
    • Jacksonville, NC, USA.

Shim Replacement -- Elevation Mechanism

I have the Craftsman equivalent of the BTS15 I think - the Craftsman model number is 315.22810.

Anyhow, ordered the shims since on occasion the mechanism to raise and lower the blade would stick. Just the other day I found one of the shims in the dust collection tube so I figured better replace them -- smart right?

Got to the point where I have the plate unscrewed where the arbor shows through but it will not seem to pull out to let me replace the shims -- (it is the plate that the shims are directly behind.

Is there something else holding that plate in place? It is a little loose but I'm hesitant to pry it. The manual -- both Sears and Ryobi -- are not much help.

Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks
  • RickT
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003

I have a BT3100, and I recall having to carefully pry that plate off. Make sure you have all the screws removed.

Comment

• jerrbitt
      Handtools only
      • Apr 2003
      • Jacksonville, NC, USA.

BTS15 Shims

Thanks for the information on the plate. Applied a little pressure and it came off but with the pulley attached. Probably a good thing since one of the rear bearings was totally shot.

Looking for information on parts since the Sears manual only shows the motor as a complete assembly w ith the arbor shaft.

Comment

• jerrbitt
        Handtools only
        • Apr 2003
        • Jacksonville, NC, USA.

Thanks for the advice about shims and bearing replacement

Thanks to "Big Tim" for his in-depth analysis of replacing the bearings. Found it most helpful.

I was planning on locking the new shims in place as suggesed with a bottom braket but the thought occured to me has anyone tried epoxing the shims in place?

Sure would be an easier route but I'll wait and see what those of you who have had experience with shim replacement.

Comment

Working...