• Show
Clear All
  • papasmurf113
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • Lake Jackson, TX, USA.
    • Ryobi BT-3100

"Poof" and no fun

whilst fabricating new brick moulding for my front door renovations last Saturday, my beloved (and not used nearly enough) BT3100 ceased turning, emmitted a rather acrid cloud of smoke and popped the breaker! This has caused me much consternation, not to mention the need to borrow a friend's table saw to complete the job. Now Senior Ryobi must believe that he's got me over the barrel! Has anybody found a suitable alternative to the "Two-point-four-eight Centi-buck" replacement price for a motor from Mr. Ryobi-san? Otherwise, I'll just buy a new saw and sell the existing one for parts.
    Thanks in advance
    "Da Smurf"
    The 3 things not to discuss at a cocktail party are; religion, politics and how to make chili!
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Check out the Member Classifieds section at this site. Some motors have been seen there recently.

JR
    JR

Comment

• gwyneth
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Bayfield Co., WI

I just wanted to say our thoughts are with you during this difficult time, and we hope it all works out.

Comment

• ExYankee
        Established Member
        • Mar 2005
        • Pleasant View, Tn.
        • BT3100-frankensaw

I think you are better off just buying a used BT# and swapping out the motor and keeping or parting out to sell all the other cool things. YOu might even pay for the second saw.
        John Dyer
        ExYankee Workshop...

I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.

Comment

• schloff
          Established Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Southern Middle TN
          • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

It's a terrible loss. I hated to give up on mine when the motor blew, but I do enjoy the Powrematic 64 that replaced her. I couldn't justify the price either, and for another $150, I had the PM.

I saw a post a few months back selling a BT motor or 2.

Good luck, and my condolences.

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

KMK has an extra one. He's offered to trade it to me for a rear rail I have. I can take cash as easily, so shoot him a PM about the motor.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• axa
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2007

I too have an extra motor that just needs brushes.
              Actually the brushes were only half used but the copper wire just came undone from the carbon block.

Anyway I dont want any more excuses not to buy a contractor saw asap, so the motor is available.

just let me know

Comment

Working...