This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SARGE..g-47

BT 3 "CAT" on 3rd Life...

She sat battered and worn in the neighbors drive-way with a sign out front that stated Yard Sale. Bill had driven her hard for 3 years and made a good living building high quality out-door furniture for the "upper-end" crowd in the Atllanta area. But.. it was time to up-grade to the PM he wanted, so.....

He told the "tinkerer" not to buy it as he had litterally worn it out. I examined it with the "eye of the tinkerer" and wrote the check for the $125 anyway. He shook his head and off it went to it's new home.

The "tinkerer" had seen a glimmer in the corner of her near death eyes and would attempt to restore her vital signs. A little modification here and there and he felt she could be of value.

5 years and over 30,000 linear feet of ripping hard-wood latter.. she was "retired" as the new factory reco Uni-saw took her job or ripping. Still humming like a kitten, but more and more of 12/4 and 16/4 stock began to show up and she was out-matched for those needs. Sad day.. but one must do what one must do!

She was offered "For Sale" for $125. Nobody wants a Ryobi I suppose. Her owner thought of parting her out.. but couldn't as there was too much left she could give as he saw it. That resulted in 2 offers to newbie's without a TS at a local club to come and get her for free! No thanks as they had been advised by other members that Ryobi was "junk" and not even worth the effort to go get it. Another sad day.. so she sat in the rear shop with a tarp over her waiting for an opportunity.

After finishing a series of dadoes, the owner sat sipping coffee and his thoughts were that dado set up on a TS is not the safest job in the world and even router set-up is a hassle and time consumer. Got to be a better way... find it~

Just a matter of the "tinkerer" going "out-side the box" once again to cut dadoes without getting your hands anywhere near the blade. A way to cut perfect dadoes with a properly shimmed dado blade to get perfect 3/4" dadoes 3*8" deep on every pass. And without the hassle of set-up and loss time.

The tarp came off and there "she" was sittiong poised in a 3 point stance. The little "Cat" was begging to start her 3rd life as her friend found a solution to the questions he had ask. A trip back to the front shop with a small fence "face-lift" to join her "big brother".

"Get er done" was the call from the huddle and the "tinkerer" only had to execute from the quater-back position.

"Gitty up little "Cat"... the cavalry is on the charge and YOU"RE out front leading the way... again.

Old saw.. old man .. new duties and another another day of challenger at the shop for the "tinkerer!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2007, 10:17 AM.
  • jspelbring
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • Belleville, IL, USA.
    • Craftsman 22114

Cat

Sarge,

Brings a tear to my eye...
    To do is to be.

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

Pretty cool, Sarge. Interesting fence.

By the way, do you know the acronym, PTRL?

JR
      JR

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Morning JR..

"By the way, do you know the acronym, PTRL"? .. JR

Not even a clue, JR. You might say I am somewhat computer challenged as I have not completely stepped into the 21st Century of electronics. I don't have a cell phone either and hope to have the epitath of.. "He got through life without a cell phone" scribed on my tomb-stone. ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

And what does PTRL mean so I have a "shot" when I take the literacy exam?

Regards...

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Sarge, nice to see the ol' girl get new life. Now, when somebody shouts : "Who's yer dado?!?" you'll have an answer!

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Good story and I love your epitaph! LOL That could even make CNN. Just don't go too soon!
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Good Morning...

First... thanks All that replied for the comments on my " baby girl" and her insistance on refusing to quit. I'm proud of her!

In order to make room for her, I cut the base-plate from the 30" door in the rear of my shop back to the 1/2 basement where the wood-rack is. Everything is mobile, but that base-plate was a challenge to get over. Now I can store her back there and roll her fluidly up front near the outer doors to make "saw-dust".

Actually it solved more problems in doing so. I also moved the 8" jointer.. vertical sander (just replaced with the new Hitachi 4 x 8 and on a mobile stand).. spindle sander and a DW 788 mobilized back to the additional 800 sq. ft. I have back there to work with. The scary sharp table is already back there and lights were installed long ago. This has almost doubled the size of the shop and freed up open space in the forward shop so things weren't so tight after the cyclone addition.

Lee in Japan...

I've been meaning to ask you a question, but keep forgetting to ask. Several years ago there was a gentleman that posted at KNOTS (FWW forum as I'm sure you know) that had the handle Norm from Fujini there.

He lived in on the island of Okinawa with his wife (I think Japanese) and I do believe he was a former Marine. He had a BT3 and he was the one that told me about this site as he posted here also. He would often post some of the most picturesque photos of the gardens surrounding his home, etc.

Do you or anyone have a clue who that was and does he possibly still post under a different handle here? Just curious as I often wonder where he is as I comtemplate those beautiful pics he would post.

Thanks and regards...

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

I just got a new Jet cabinet saw and have been wondering what to do with my BT3100. Maybe it'll go up to our vacation home and I'll get rid of the BTS10 I bought for fixit project up there.

Or maybe I'll do as you did and set the saw up for a single, special purpose task.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

Sarge, last I heard from Norm in Fujino he was rather busy with his life. He was doing well but had little free time for things like woodworking or the forum. His fine website is still up and running with intersting information on his loacation. http://www2.gol.com/users/nhavens/
                  He also has a page I link to on shim supports for the BT3K saw.

Norm was such a prolific poster here and at the old Ryobi site that in the "Cult" he was more famous than the Yankee Norm!

Paint the red line was a phrase Norm coined.
                  Last edited by Black wallnut; 07-12-2007, 05:00 PM.
                  Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

PTRL = Paint The Red Line. It was what we used to tell newbies (myself included) so they wouldnt run the SMT fence through the blade!

Just a small joke at the expense of your very nice design, including specialized anti-tearout fence.

JR
                    JR

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                      Lee in Japan...

Several years ago there was a gentleman that posted at KNOTS (FWW forum as I'm sure you know) that had the handle Norm from Fujini there.

Do you or anyone have a clue who that was and does he possibly still post under a different handle here? Just curious as I often wonder where he is as I comtemplate those beautiful pics he would post.

Thanks and regards...
                      Norm lives in an area west of Tokyo, just up in the mountains on the way to Mt. Fuji. I haven't heard from him personally in almost 2 years. But he was/is giving most of his free time to photography. He is a professor and as such works like a Japanese (or a non-corporate American farmer) - from can to can't - most of the time.

If you do a search on google, you may be able to find him.

Oh yes, Norm was the originator of the PTRL - Paint the red line.
                      Last edited by leehljp; 07-12-2007, 07:02 PM.
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Morning Jack...

I really wanted mine to go to an entry level, but as you read.. no takers! Go figure? The entry levels must be more finacially fit these days than I was in 1972. ha.. ha...

If you have the room for the saw, I think you will most definitely benefit from keeping it. And with a vacation home, you obviusly are at a stage of life that you are not pressed over the small return it will bring in relation to the benefits it can provide in a secondary role.

And to quite honest... I have developed an attachment for it as I would with a pet. I can't believe I said that. I must be getting soft in my approaching senior yeas.

Regards...

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Morning Mark.. JR.. and Lee

Thank you gentlemen very.. very much for the update an Norm sighting. And now I know what PTRL means. I have heard Norm mention it, but did not relate that to when JR asked if I knew what it meant.

I also found Norm very prolific and enjoyed chatting with him. I was thinking he lived in Okinawa (he possibly as a Marine stationed there before making things permanent latter near Mt. Fuji) which I now remember is where he stated he lived. Very dedicated to the BT3 and also a very worldly person in all areanas that we converesed on.

I throughly enjoyed chatting with him and those beautiful pics he would post made me want to get on the first flight out of Atlanta to see in person. I have been on 4 continents, but those pics were nothing short of breath-taking IMO.

I will sleep well to-nite as it feels a great weight has been lifted from my shoulder just knowing that Norm is mostly likely still around.. just extremely busy as he was then also. Norm's personality went well beyond "skin deep".

Again gentlemen.... the information you provided has been recieved with much gratitude!

Regards...

Comment

Working...