• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • docrowan
    • Mar 2007
    • New Albany, MS
    • BT3100

SMT Fence pivot sticking

The plastic pivot point on the fence of my SMT does not slide back and forth on my fence smoothly at all. As a matter of fact it screeches when I apply a little force to move it. Is there an adjustment, do I need to apply some Johnson's paste wax, or do I need to file the ends just a tad to achieve more clearance? Clearly the third alternative is the course of last resort. Anyone run into this before?
    - Chris.
  • backpacker85
    Established Member
    • Sep 2006
    • Dickson, TN
    • BT3100-1

A lttle wax (or dry lubricant) will help the fence slide smoothly through the center guide.

Another problem I had at first was getting the fixture to slide smoothly along the slot. Finally noticed that even though I loosened the knob on top, all that was happening was the knob was rising on the bolt, and I had to push it down a bit to get the bolt head on the bottom to free up in the slot.

May not be an issue with yours, but something to watch for.
    Ken W.

Comment

• docrowan
      • Mar 2007
      • New Albany, MS
      • BT3100

Ken,

Yup, I've noticed that too. I was goofing around with it last night, popped the pivot point out and ran the fence all the way back to the end of the groove and tightened it up to measure the absolute max "stock" cross cut capacity. Apparently I tightened it a little hard or there was some schmutz under the table cause I couldn't get the bolt to release until I applied a little leverage with a screwdriver.

Makes me sound like a ham fisted neanderthal, but I'm really a pretty careful guy.

Anyway, I'll try the dry lube first. I've got some powdered graphite, will that work or should I buy some sort of spray?
      - Chris.

Comment

• DaveStL
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • St Louis, MO, USA.
        • Jet 10: Xacta RT

Originally posted by backpacker85
        Finally noticed that even though I loosened the knob on top, all that was happening was the knob was rising on the bolt, and I had to push it down a bit to get the bolt head on the bottom to free up in the slot.
        Originally posted by docrowan
        Apparently I tightened it a little hard or there was some schmutz under the table cause I couldn't get the bolt to release until I applied a little leverage with a screwdriver.
        I've experienced the first issue. Appeared to be the steel nut digging into the aluminum table.

Dave

Comment

• gwyneth
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Bayfield Co., WI

Teflon spray is really handy to keep around. There's a brand often suggested here that I can't remember, and Elmer's Slide All, which may be more likely to be found in an average hardware store.

Comment

Working...