• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Lubricating fence cam assembly?

The fence lock on my fence is kinda hard to push down. I don't push it all the way down, only far enough to lock the front and back. But it takes a little more effort to push it than it used to.

Anyone else experience this? Can I lube the cam assembly w/o causing a safety problem? Suggested lubricants?
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Because of the tendancy of liquid lubes to become a magnet for sawdust I would go with a dry lube. There are some available with a volatile carrier that spray into tight places, the carrier evaporates and leaves the lube behind. The one I'm familiar with is for locks but there are some new age 'tonics' available but I don't know their names. Before doing this, chech the fence mechanisms closely for dust buildup or a chip which might be causing binding.
    Just a thought,
    Chiz
    Blessings,
    Chiz

Comment

Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • League City, Tx, USA.
      • BT3100

Isn't there an adjustment on the back side of the fence to adjust how tight you lock down the fence? Is the cam just hard to move or is it just trying to lock down to tight?

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Originally posted by ironhat
        Because of the tendancy of liquid lubes to become a magnet for sawdust I would go with a dry lube. There are some available with a volatile carrier that spray into tight places, the carrier evaporates and leaves the lube behind. The one I'm familiar with is for locks but there are some new age 'tonics' available but I don't know their names. Before doing this, chech the fence mechanisms closely for dust buildup or a chip which might be causing binding.
        Just a thought,
        Chiz

Oh yeah, I forgot about this thread. Update:

(1) First, apologies for double-posting. There are now two threads.

(2) I shoulda searched before asking, but I read this board a lot and don't remember seeing it discussed. It was discussed here:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ight=fence+cam

So I used some of the same DuPont teflon/wax lube purchased at Lowes that I use on the rest of the saw. All I can say is, OMG, what a difference! Why didn't I do this earlier?
        Last edited by cgallery; 06-18-2007, 09:07 PM.

Comment

• gwyneth
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Bayfield Co., WI

Elmer's Slide-All is another dry lube spray that is teflon-based.

BTW, everybody knows that Gore-tex is spun teflon, don't they?

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

Originally posted by gwyneth
            Elmer's Slide-All is another dry lube spray that is teflon-based.

BTW, everybody knows that Gore-tex is spun teflon, don't they?
            No, I didn't know that. I think that is pretty neat. So if I wear a Gore-tex outfit, I will be the Teflon man!

Comment

• gwyneth
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Bayfield Co., WI

I'd say so.

Here's a little info. The first is more detailed, the second reveals that those canny Scots are now producing non-stick bagpipes:

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/goretex.html
              How GORE-TEX® waterproof clothing works: A simple introduction from Explain that Stuff!

http://www.engineerguy.com/comm/3655.htm
              Commentary: Gore-Tex from Bill Hammack's Engineering & Life Radio Program

Comment

Working...