• Show
Clear All
  • Philippe
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2004
    • Winter Springs, Fl, USA.
    • BT3000

push nuts on blade guard

The anti kickback pawls on the blade guard are rusting (Thank you FL humidity). I bought new ones and need to remove the push nuts and put them back on.

A. How do you remove them without damaging the assembly.
    B. Do I need new push nuts to replace them or can I use the same ones over again.

Any input would be much appreciated
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

If you pry very gently on alternating sides you MAY be able to remove them without damage. I would have new ones on-hand, however, since my track record getting things like this off intact is not so good. You could also try turning them in circles as you pull on them. Nothing is threaded but it might help ease them off intact.

Jim

Comment

• gwyneth
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Bayfield Co., WI

Since you said "any input", here goes: tape up the ends of the old ones, tape up the ends of the new ones better, have some band-aids and disinfectant on hand, and if it's been a while it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a tetanus shot.

That much exposure to those things--and four of them!--practically guarantees being wounded.

Somebody here should consider making and marketing 'pawl guard guards', like plastic chisel tips.

Comment

• eezlock
        • Feb 2006
        • Charlotte,N.C.
        • BT3100

anti kickback pawls

Try prying them up as evenly as you can to remove them. As to reinstalling them, I would find a deep well socket that would fit over them and gently tap them down until they are fully seated.
        For my own use I hated those sharp pointed aggrivations, and took them off
        of my saw blade guard after a very short time. eezlock

Comment

Working...