• Show
Clear All
  • gbeskow
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007
    • Elk Mound, WI
    • BT3000

Brushes for BT3000 Motor

I have an older BT3000 (December of '95 is what's shown on my plate) that the elevation threads just stripped out on. In the process of disassembling the motor bracket from the motor itself, I damaged the brushes of the motor (don't ask!). I've checked the usual sites for Ryobi parts and it doesn't seem that I can purchase brushes for this motor anymore. Keep in mind, I have the motor shown below:

Diagram of Old Motor

The brushes are shown as #19. I found that particular drawing on the Sears parts website. According to the site, they no longer sell the brush assembly (P/N 612567-005). Here is a link to the motor I believe more commonly seen on the BT3000.

Diagram of New Motor

The brush assembly here is #16 and P/N 4540007.

Are these brushes interchangeable? I don't have any experience with brushes. Can I get something at a local hardware store that will work or do I have to take this to an electric motor repair shop? Please help if you can. Thanks!
    Last edited by gbeskow; 06-06-2007, 08:23 PM.
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

Welcome to the site.

Here are a couple of old posts re: brushes for the BT3000 ...

This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.

This section is for <b><i><u>individual forum members</b></i></u> to post items for sale or listings for items wanted. Any and all commercial ads will be deleted without warning. Additionally, any off-topic posts like purchase gloats will also be deleted. This section will not be archived.

I believe there was another recent post re: a source for brushes older BT3000's, but I couldn't find it.

I'm getting nervous about my BT3000's brushes, too. It is a 1996 15amp model. The motor diagram is like your "old motor" diagram. Model & Serial # ... 746664 9620

Can anybody give me some direction, too?

Thanks,

- Lonnie
    Last edited by Lonnie in Orlando; 06-06-2007, 11:02 PM.
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• gbeskow
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2007
      • Elk Mound, WI
      • BT3000

Thanks for showing me the other posts Lonnie. I'm going to head to a couple local hardware stores today and see what I can find for a brush supply. I'm not sure if mine is the 15 amp motor or not. I don't see any markings on it to state. How can I tell?

Wish me luck. I'll report back on what I find.

Greg

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
        • May 2003
        • Orlando, FL, USA.
        • BT3000

The data plate on the right side panel of the cabinet next to the on-board recepticle should state the volts and amperage. I don't know when the motor changed from 13-amp to 15-amp. Sometime in '94, '95, or '96.

Not sure if the original 13-amp motor uses the same brushes and brush tubes as the 15-amp motor. The motor changed again in 1997. Don't think that the 1997 brushes fit earlier models. I believe that at some point, the brush tubes changed from square to round.

- Lonnie
        OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• Philippe
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2004
          • Winter Springs, Fl, USA.
          • BT3000

There are places that rebuild motors

Just a suggestion. Places where they rebuild starters & alternators are pretty well set up to fix this style of problems. I saved $150 once on a rebuilt fan for an old A/C by taking the part in to that type of shop. Just a suggestion & I am not sure if would work but a few calls would quickly tell you.

Comment

• gbeskow
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2007
            • Elk Mound, WI
            • BT3000

I checked my name plate and it does say 15 amps. I just got back from a local electric motor repair shop. He is going to order the brushes for me. Says they should be here in about a week. He claims they won't have the retainer grooves in the side of them, but that I can file or cut that in without a problem. I'll let you know how much they cost and what they look like when they show up.

Greg

Comment

• Turaj
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
              • BT3000 (1998)

Greg

Many years ago I ordered couple of brushes from Sears for my BT3000. When they arrived, they did not fit my motor and I was told they were for older versions!

If I remember correctly they had groves on their sides (mine does not) and were smaller than the one used for my saw (maybe 1/2 by 5/16 cross section?). If you think these would fit and cannot find any , then let me know. I should still have them someplace under all the other pieces. I just have to look.
              Turaj (in Toronto)
              "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• gbeskow
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2007
                • Elk Mound, WI
                • BT3000

Turaj,
                I appreciate the offer! I haven't received the ones I ordered through the local motor repair shop yet, so I don't know what they look like. When they do arrive I'll let you know how they look.

If you do happen to find the brushes you metioned in your post, I would be interested in them. It doesn't sound like you can use them, so just PM me if you locate them. Thanks!

Greg

Comment

• Turaj
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                  • BT3000 (1998)

Found Them!!!

If you see my shop these days, you'll understand why I sound surprized!!!

I'll send you a PM as well!
                  Turaj (in Toronto)
                  "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

Working...