• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garymck
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007

A visit to Workshop Heaven.....

Hi all.
    after posting a new thread "Bt3100K still a good saw?" I was kindly invited for a visit to "Dustless" Rod Kirby's workshop for a chat and some saw buying advice.

I gotta say people, his place is woodworkers Nirvana! I saw so much good stuff and most of it made by Rod himself. It seems that if a job needs to be done more than once, then he's made a jig for it. Man it was so neat and clean you could have brain surgery there :-)

Had coffee and lunch there, met his lovely wife and talked for a good 3 hours.

My general conclusion is that the BT3100 etc is a great saw, but which is killed by the price the local Ryobi people have set on it (rrp $995, street $895). I played with the saw table Rod uses now, and it's great. If only the Ryobi had a price at least vaguely comparable to what was asked for it in the US I'd leap at it. Rod said heaps of great things about it, but the large contractors saws are the same price here, so I guess I'll have to go that way...

Hope I'm still welcome here, even if I belong to the dark side.

cheers
    Gary

PS Rod's wife took a photo of us in the workshop, just to prove that it really exists and is not a figment of someones Photoshop imagination :-)
  • gad5264
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Columbus, Ohio, USA
    • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Gary, welcome aboard and don't be afraid to jump in and ask questions or add your .02 to other questions. However it seems like you have one of the best sources of information close to you already in Rod.

Welcome!!
    Grant
    "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by garymck
      Hope I'm still welcome here, even if I belong to the dark side.
      Never fear -- or perhaps I mean to say, "No worries, mate." There's always been a Dark Side contingent here, and it's grown even larger of late because of some deeply-discounted prices on various cabinet saws.

As the forum sub-heading says: It's not just about the saw. Welcome!
      Larry

Comment

• gwyneth
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Bayfield Co., WI

My general conclusion is that the BT3100 etc is a great saw, but which is killed by the price the local Ryobi people have set on it (rrp $995, street $895). I played with the saw table Rod uses now, and it's great. If only the Ryobi had a price at least vaguely comparable to what was asked for it in the US I'd leap at it.

PS Rod's wife took a photo of us in the workshop, just to prove that it really exists and is not a figment of someones Photoshop imagination :-)
        IMO, there's a special "BT-killing" unit at Ryobi whose mission was to design a marketing strategy to destroy the product here and everywhere.

PS As for the picture, you could have been dropped in via Photoshop to one of the many pictures we have admired of Rod's "shop".

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Welcome aboard, Darksider. Do us a favor. If you post pics of your shed, make a little sawdust to leave so we can see it. We wouldn't want to form a negative opinion of everyone from Oz.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• MilDoc

At that price I wouldn't buy one either!

Welcome!

Comment

• TheRic
              • Jun 2004
              • West Central Ohio
              • bt3100

Welcome to the family, come on in and make yourself at home.

So Rod showed you the SHED that is only uses for photo shoots? Did you get to see the REAL shed??? Did you get to see the 500000 CFM Dust Collector that he uses?? I think the DC is stored in the larger building to the left of the shed!

At those prices I would go Dark Side in a heartbeat!!
              Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• garymck
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2007

"So Rod showed you the SHED that is only uses for photo shoots? Did you get to see the REAL shed??? Did you get to see the 500000 CFM Dust Collector that he uses?? "

he actually turned it on while I was there - sucked the sandwich out of my hand and straightened the (few remaining) curls on my head and cured my dandruff!!!!

"I think the DC is stored in the larger building to the left of the shed!"

You could be right - he tried to kid me that all that was connected was a small shop vac - but I'm sure that it was only a dummy - I didn't get to move it so I bet there was an 18inch vacuum pipe feeding it hidden under the base

"At those prices I would go Dark Side in a heartbeat!!"

cheers
                Gary

Comment

• gwyneth
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Bayfield Co., WI

In Rod's thread about your visit in the coffee pot section, he did not deny my explanation about why you didn't have to wash your hands before touching the saw--his special "Shop Entry Preparation Room".

Comment

• garymck
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gwyneth
                    In Rod's thread about your visit in the coffee pot section, he did not deny my explanation about why you didn't have to wash your hands before touching the saw--his special "Shop Entry Preparation Room".
                    sometimes it's better to leave some things left unsaid................

Gary

Comment

• RodKirby
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

sometimes it's better to leave some things left unsaid................

Gary
                      Originally posted by gwyneth
                      Gary is simply honouring the agreement he signed

I cannot confirm or deny speculative comments made about THE SHED
                      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

Working...