• Show
Clear All
  • jonathan55
    Established Member
    • Jun 2005
    • Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
    • BT3100

Ryobi plunge in BT3 table

I used to keep an old Craftsman router in the table on the BT3. Since I don't use it that often it was fine. The other day I burned up the Craftsman and stopped at Home Depot and picked up the new Ryobi 1 1/2 hp $59 router, I got home and discovered that it didn't fit the plate. I didn't feel like drilling holes in the plate so I thought I'd take it back and get the 2 hp plunge router.

Has anyone tried this combo? The old Ryobi routers all fit the plate, or so I thought.

Any thoughts on this are welcome!

Jonathan
  • Brian G
    • Jun 2003
    • Bloomington, Minnesota.
    • G0899

I use the RE180PL mounted to my BT3100. I don't use it much anymore, because I often use a different router table.

I found that removing the springs in the plunge mechanism was necessary to get sufficient depth for some bits.

I also ordered (m-and-d.com) the optional depth microadjuster to make fine-tuning easier. The depth microadjuster isn't included with the router.

If you're looking for an all-purpose router for use in addition to mounting to the BT, there may be better options than the Ryobi 2-HP. I have no complaints with mine, and have gotten good value out of it.

If you search the site looking for thread titles about choosing a router, or look for Loring's FAQ, you'll find copious suggestions for other choices.
    Brian

Comment

• jonathan55
      Established Member
      • Jun 2005
      • Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
      • BT3100

Brian, Thanks for the help!

I picked up a Craftsman on sale for $69 that fits.

Jonathan

Comment

Working...