X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ivan

fresh out of the box

Hi,
    I just registered on this site and I just purchased my first table saw- Ryobi BT3100. I haven't even put it together yet!

I have been reading articles on this forum but was wondering if there is anything that I should know about this saw when first using it? I hear about waxing it, buying new blade to better match the wood you're cutting...
    I also just ordered some 3/4" red oak becuase i'm redoing my stairs

Any useful tips since it is a brand new saw would be appreciated.

Thanks,
  • Tom H
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2006

Good for you! Where did you get the saw? I looked at all the local HDs, and called several others with no luck. Finally bought the Craftsman clone.

The folks who have been using this saw for a while will be a big help. About all I can add is to be careful when clamping down the accessory table. I didn't have it lined up correctly and broke one of the small grooves on the side opposite the clamp. Have fun!

Tom

Comment

• gad5264
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Columbus, Ohio, USA
      • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Ivan, welcome aboard and don't be shy. I am sure that Loring will post his link to FAQ's for you in a bit and let me tell you that is will be very helpful.

Where are you from?
      Last edited by gad5264; 03-16-2007, 01:28 PM. Reason: another question
      Grant
      "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Welcome to the forum and congrats on finding a BT3100 to buy. Wax everything with a good quality paste wax like Johnson's except for the rails and the miter fence. Be sure to paint the yellow line!
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• gad5264
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Columbus, Ohio, USA
          • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Originally posted by Black wallnut
          . Be sure to paint the yellow line!

Mark,
          Don't you mean the RED line?

Click image for larger version

Name:	bt3k.gif
Views:	1
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	780622
          Grant
          "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by gad5264
            Mark,
            Don't you mean the RED line?

[ATTACH]4794[/ATTACH]
            Long story short, no I do infact mean yellow! Although I will conceed that most have indeed used red for this same purpose. Way back in the Ryobi Forum days when the BT3K had a small cult like following and was cutting edge, yet before I had a digi camera several users independantly did the same thing. IIRC Norm In Fujino took a picture of his Red line and posted it. I used a yellow paint pen a week or so prior for the same thing. So just to be historically accurate I was not the first to post of it and I used yellow but I think several people all came up with the idea independently but the first poster used a red line.

©

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Originally posted by Black wallnut
              . Be sure to paint the yellow line!
              Heretic!

JR

Comment

• Ivan

Firstly, Hi all and thanks for the reply. I'm located in Canada, a place called Oakville.

Tom,
                The HD that I went to had 4, one of which I own now. I hear this saw is not being made any longer. true?

Black Walnut,

I would have thought I should have waxed the railes to get good smoth sliding action especially on the SMT. When you say everything what do you mean?

I noticed that the washer they gave me which goes below the SMT fence to hold the fence down when you spin the big plastic knob is too big! So, I took the SMT slid it all the way forward so I can get a look underneath, put the washer (the one that was in the bag with the plastic knob an long screw) put it on the long screw pushed it up from underneath the SMT and the washer is too big.... sure if i slant the washer it will go in slanted and up to the lip but that's my first -'ve with this thing. I'll grind the sides of the washer so it will fit.

I tried taking off the screw that holdes the throat plate down but it stipped! I have a good philips screwdriver so it wasn't that. Now I've got to drill out the screw! second -'ve.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-16-2007, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• eezlock
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Charlotte,N.C.
                  • BT3100

newby

Welcome to the forum Ivan,

I would suggest that before setting up the saw ...go to archives page(I think)
                  and find article about setting up the saw written by Loring in Katy,it details
                  easy to follow instructions that will save you time and frustration later.Be sure and follow all of the included instuctions that came with the saw and follow them step by step, don't jump around here. it is important to follow them in order, your saw assembly will go together a whole lot easier and simpler!

Remember there a lot of knowledgable folks here, that are ready, willing and able to help with any problems you may encounter with the saw or any type of project you build. If you have questions...just ask away...someone will
                  answer.

Hope this helps you get started off right, enjoy and make some sawdust.
                  eezlock

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by Ivan
                    Firstly, Hi all and thanks for the reply. I'm located in Canada, a place called Oakville.

Tom,
                    The HD that I went to had 4, one of which I own now. I hear this saw is not being made any longer. true?

Black Walnut,

I would have thought I should have waxed the railes to get good smoth sliding action especially on the SMT. When you say everything what do you mean?

I noticed that the washer they gave me which goes below the SMT fence to hold the fence down when you spin the big plastic knob is too big! So, I took the SMT slid it all the way forward so I can get a look underneath, put the washer (the one that was in the bag with the plastic knob an long screw) put it on the long screw pushed it up from underneath the SMT and the washer is too big.... sure if i slant the washer it will go in slanted and up to the lip but that's my first -'ve with this thing. I'll grind the sides of the washer so it will fit.

I tried taking off the screw that holdes the throat plate down but it stipped! I have a good philips screwdriver so it wasn't that. Now I've got to drill out the screw! second -'ve.
                    Wax the main table, top of the SMT and the accessory table. Wax the miter base chanels where the glides ride. Look to the pictures in the manual to identify these parts. The reason for not waxing the rails is wax buildup may make the rip fence not hold tight to the front rail.

The Order of assembling the SMT fence to the SMT table: Bolt up in middle slot through clamp, then washer, then knob. The bolt rides in a track sized to keep the bolts head from turning on the underside of the SMT. Place the pivot in the hole closest to the blade and read the degree scale with the orange tab on the scale farthest from the blade. If this does not make sense ask again and I'm sure someone can post a picture.The screws holding the throat plate were most likely over-torqued at the factory, this has been an issue in the past. Also be carefull when adjusting the ripfence parallelism to blade as these adjustment screws sometimes also are too tight. If they do not break loose with modest tension stop and re-assess. If you have an impact driver and correctly sized allen bit you may have to use it here.

©

Comment

• ejs1097
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2005
                      • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Welcome to the boards Ivan.

Lots of good advise here. you should be good out of the box but don't forget to check the maintainance section of the manual to ensure everything is squared up.
                      Eric
                      Be Kind Online

Comment

• Ivan

Thanks Black Walnut... you're right.
                        I replaced the screw $0.25.

I'm sure i'll be back with more ???'s

Comment

• Pappy
                          The Full Monte
                          • Dec 2002
                          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 (x2)

Welcome to the Asylum, Ivan!

Annoint thy saw with the Crimson fingernail paint of the female of the species, burn incense, and pay homage to the Gods of Wood to invoke Their blessings on your saw and all future projects it shall render!
                          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                          Fools because they have to say something.
                          Plato

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • On the TARDIS
                            • BT 3100

Hello Ivan and welcome from a fellow canuk. I also own one of the greatest saws ever built. This is a great place to hang with an equally great bunch of people.

Where abouts in Oakville are you( closest QEW exit)? I'm not too far from you. I live just up the escarpment from Grimsby. Have you checked out the Canadian forums yet? You will find some folks rather local to you.
                            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• drumpriest
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                              • Powermatic PM 2000

Welcome to the forum, and a word on "paint the yellow line", if you are french, it should be yellow, because that's the color of "danger" in france, thus the yellow jearsey of the tour de france.
                              Keith Z. Leonard
                              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...