• Show
Clear All
  • jon_ramp
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • western Chicago burb
    • Craftsman 21829

Floor Model Assessment or Examination

I have found a BT3100 floor model for sale. I am looking for any suggestions as to what I should check before purchasing. This would be my first table saw so I don't know what to look for, the manual is included and the knobs and handles seem to be present. As a novice stepping up from a TrimTramp, it looks fine other than being dusty. I can only hope that the employee who assembled it didn’t strip any threads or throw away any unused parts or accessories.
  • L. D. Jeffries
    • Dec 2005
    • Russell, NY, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Probably you would want to see if all the knobs and wheels do what they should do. Does the blade raise up and down OK? Does the bevel wheel work? Does the sliding table run smoothly and lock down properly? Check the sliding miter fixture locks down? Does the rip fence seem to be OK and lock down? Don't know what else to say except if the price is RIGHT then little problems might not be a drawback as someone always has bits and pieces available. Guiess you should just eye ball it carefully and if it looks OK then buy it. If possible see if you can get it plugged in and run the motor, just to see if it actually runs. Good luck!
    RuffSawn
    Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I might just get a verbal agreement from the store that they would take it back if the motor doesn't run and check to make sure all the parts are there. I would look at the blade and make sure the washer for both sides of the blade, the two spacers towards the motor from the blade washers and the blade nut are all there. There are four clamps that hold the sliding miter table on which are all visible from the top. If they lock up, the parts should be there but it wouldn't hurt to turn if over and look for empty holes. The rip fence should have the clear plastic pointer piece with a red line in it. It should lock up at the back and front - there is a piece that should move upward to pinch the rear rail on the back. If it doesn't move it could be adjustment or it could be a missing part.

I recommend checking the floor model versus the exploded parts diagram in the back of the manual. If nothing major is missing, you are getting an excellant saw for the money. If something is missing, it might be worthwhile understanding how much that part is. If the price is low enough, I wouldn't worry about it, Ryobi parts are not that bad.

Jim

Comment

Working...